Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a dumbass newbie question, but I have a buddy of mine that has a 98 tracker 2WD. He wants to convert it to 5speed, transfercase, Toyota axles.

What is the quickest and cheapest tranny that will bolt right up?

·
Registered
521 Posts
i would say stock trans and case would be the quickest

·
Registered
858 Posts
what trans is currently the rig.

easiest thing to do is install a sami t case behind the two wheel drive trans and go

·
Registered
858 Posts
get a t-case, and an intermediate shaft (goes between the trans and t-case)and install. You will also need a shifter boot and odds and ends. I would go this route rather then getting the married trans and t-case that came with stock.

Rich

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am really in no position to offer advice, as i'm pretty new to zuks too, but in my repair manual (chilton) they cover an outline of converting to 4wd- all the parts seem to interchange (bolt on) with the possible exception of the 2wd front knuckle, which may have too small a hole to fit the axle through. Otherwise, it seems you just bolt the 4wd parts on :smokin:

Hope this helps

·
Registered
691 Posts
I am really in no position to offer advice, as i'm pretty new to zuks too, but in my repair manual (chilton) they cover an outline of converting to 4wd- all the parts seem to interchange (bolt on) with the possible exception of the 2wd front knuckle, which may have too small a hole to fit the axle through. Otherwise, it seems you just bolt the 4wd parts on :smokin:

Hope this helps
The front knuckles themselves are the same, it is the spindles that are different. But a 4wd spindle does bolt onto a 2wd knuckle without issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts