Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know if the suzuki V6 would fit into a 1998 Chevy tracker?
what kind of modifications will be needed?
how much does a crate engine cost from suzuki? (I should probably just have one rebuilt)

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
31,026 Posts
nytflyr said:
did the search and found out the V6 is crap, so how can I hop up the 1.6L thats in it? it has 90k miles on it right now.
Thanks
NytFlyr (I can't BELIEVE you got run off of off-road.com!) I don't know how you came up with the idea that the V6 is crap. It's an incredible engine - just don't run anything but 5W30 in it, or you'll be changing timing chain tensioners every 40,000 miles.

If I could steal my wife's V6 from her GV and drop it in my Kick, I would in a heartbeat! As it is, you can get a lot out of a 1.6/16, by boring porting polishing, etc. Hugh Reynolds (Reynolds Machine, Bakersfield, CA) says he can get it up to 140 HP on premium fuel, or more if you want to get exotic. All depends on how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Bobzooki said:

NytFlyr (I can't BELIEVE you got run off of off-road.com!) I don't know how you came up with the idea that the V6 is crap. It's an incredible engine - just don't run anything but 5W30 in it, or you'll be changing timing chain tensioners every 40,000 miles.

If I could steal my wife's V6 from her GV and drop it in my Kick, I would in a heartbeat! As it is, you can get a lot out of a 1.6/16, by boring porting polishing, etc. Hugh Reynolds (Reynolds Machine, Bakersfield, CA) says he can get it up to 140 HP on premium fuel, or more if you want to get exotic. All depends on how much you want to spend.
well the changing of chain tensioners at 40k miles is where I came to that conclusion :)

do you know if it is a clean swap? I still may consider it.

cost IS the big issue. Im of the feeling that picking up the V6 and dropping it in place would cost less, depending on any mods that need to be made. mostly because I have this monster in the garage at the moment http://www.paper-dragon.com/68lincoln

I cant believe I was run off from off-road.com either :D

·
Registered
31,026 Posts
nytflyr said:
well the changing of chain tensioners at 40k miles is where I came to that conclusion :)
do you know if it is a clean swap? I still may consider it.
I am the guy who did the timing chain tensioner replacement on my wife's GV at 80,000 miles. It's running like a top now, and has great power.

Yeah, the 2.5 V6 is a clean swap. Remove your body from your Track/Kick, and bolt it onto a Grand Vitara frame with the V6 already installed, and you're done. :eek:

Realistically, the 2.5 V6 is HUGE compared to the 1.6/16. I don't think you'll fit it between the frame rails, and you can count on changing the tranny and Xfer case with it.

·
Registered
31,026 Posts
nytflyr said:
Ummm, errr, I think Ill stick with the 1.6 then... any good sources for beefing her up?
Step 1: Are you in California? If so, this will make your rig not-street-legal, because there are NO CARB approved headers for the 1.6/16. The solution: Calmini Header & Hi-Perf Exhaust
That gets the engine breathing OUT better. Next, get it breathing IN better with a K & N filter:
K & N Factory Filter Replacement

If you want to have the engine rebuilt/tuned to 140 HP, it's gonna cost you over $2,000 to have Hugh Reynolds do it, PLUS the cost of the engine.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Re: Re: Tracker engine swap

Root Moose said:

Can't be done.

You should sell the Tracker and buy a Joop.

[email protected]

Why can´t it be done, Root???:confused:

I had measured up a 2.5 V6 and, while tight, it looked like it´d fit in a Sami by just leaning it over a bit to clear the M/C. Therefore, I´d "ass"ume that it´d go into a Tracker as well........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.