Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at my wits end with this thing... It's getting reallly annoying and has been going on for the entire time I've had the truck

The wobble comes on at about 55 and will erratically wobble from 40-50 then it just has a constant faint thudding sound at 65.

So far I've tried:
- Different tires and wheels
- Shimming the kingpins tighter
- Swapping Rear hubs
- New front wheel bearings
- Repacked all wheel bearings
- Tightening body mounts
- Tightening shock mounts
- Check front suspension/ track bar for play
- Limiting rear suspension up travel
- Putting the truck in neutral at those speeds
- Runout of front rotor .010"

The smaller tires and wheels made it less apparent but not gone.

The shake at 40-50 kinda feels like the frame/suspension bouncing around possibly due to the stiffer boxed frame?

Either way it doesn't make sense to me and I'm getting sick of this. Anyone have any good insight?

·
Premium Member
3,976 Posts
drivelines

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Have you checked your caster yet?
Also do you have a steering stabilizer? If your castor is wrong a stabilizer could take care of the prob. What about free play in the steering box?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have a steering stablilzer. I haven't measured my caster exactly but I know it's close. What's a good angle? 5 degrees or so?

My steering box does have some play in it but not a whole lot.

I took a shim out from my kingpins yesterday and it made it a little worse so I think if I shim the hell out of them it may go away completely but then it may handle like shit.

I think if I do that and take the steering stabilizer off and maybe tighten up the steering box and possibly add some caster, it may work.

I'm gonna try it today. Ugh.

·
Premium Member
3,976 Posts
uhhhhhhhhhh drivelines

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
uhhhhhhhhhh drivelines
Nope.

Brand new driveshaft tight as anything and it did it with my last brand new shaft.

It's more of a hop than a vibration anyway.

Shocks are good. Track bar is tight.

I rebuilt my steering shaft the other day which helped a little.

I crammed big washers under the kingpin caps which made it handle like shit and still wobbled.

I'm stumped.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep those are brand new too...

The only bushings/joints that are not new are my shackle/spring eye bushings in the rear but I can't really see much play in those when shaking the truck side to side.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
What size tires? With the big meats you need to shim the shit out of the kingpins, period. Although, something is really odd if shimming caused it to handle worse. Steering stabilizer is all fine and and good, but its a band aid not a solution. Go ahead and have it aligned, too. I know you can get it pretty close in the shop, but since your having problems you might as well hedge your bets. Also, an old gasser trick is to toe the tires in a bit to help them track better.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm only running 35" BFGs...

When I shim the kingpins that much the thing will hunt all over the place and just not handle right.

I don't notice much difference with the stabilizer on or off.

It's a weird pheonomenon.

I would go get it aligned but I don't know any place that I'd be comfortable about them doing it right seeing as it's a ranger with a 60 front...

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
Shit, thats weird...you shouldn't have to really even shim them with that size tire. You really need to find a place that can align it. But barring that, try to tip in the toe like I mentioned.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
this might sound stupid but jack up each tire and spin it while looking at a yard stick behind it, make sure they all run round, we had this issues on the mack once, got new tires and they still had a hump in it, and with 80,000# you really felt it. if you spot a bad tire you can get them cut to be round

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
I would go get it aligned but I don't know any place that I'd be comfortable about them doing it right seeing as it's a ranger with a 60 front...
I don't know where you live in MA, but i have a lifetime alignment at expert tire...i've been to the one in fitchburg many times with no problems at all. They don't care, and i have a 44 up front.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
It can be hard to find a competent shop that don't act like huge vaginas when it comes to aligning modified vehicles...but they're out there. The odd thing is, Mook's checked and ruled out all the usual suspects and you can get it close enough yourself at home that it shouldn't result in the dw he's experiencing. I still say tip the toe in and if you can't find a place to throw it on a rack have a buddy go over everything you already checked. I know in the past I've gotten frustrated over a problem and missed stuff. All it takes is one worn tre.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
are you runnin dualy hubs?
try more caster and less caster.

when i put new tires and wheels on that had more of a scrub i had to take out some caster

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I've tried more and less caster.

It feels like the truck is bouncing and it comes from the rear tires too.

I would suspect a balancing problem... BUT

I have them balanced with airsoft BBs and have also had them balanced at a shop with the BBs still in them. Didn't make a difference. I think I'm gonna try loading them up with more BBs and see if it helps.

I'm running SRW hubs for reference.

I've also had the problem with the TREs and my last setup with heims.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
I have them balanced with airsoft BBs and have also had them balanced at a shop with the BBs still in them. Didn't make a difference. I think I'm gonna try loading them up with more BBs and see if it helps.
I would, more won't hurt and with the airsoft pellets being so light folks often don't add enough.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Are you running a carrier bearing in the driveline?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts