Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get axle wrap BAD. I wanna fab up some ladder bars but I need some help. I guess what I don't understand is what movement the rear axle makes as it cycles from full compression to full droop. does it indeed make an arc? if so how do I find the radius of the arc to know the length of arms to make? eccentially what traction bar/ leaf sprung setups are out there that don't bind while the suspension cycles?

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
You will want to use either a shackle or sliding mechanism. the axle travels in an arc of sort based on the distance from center pin to fixed mount, along the arc of the spring. The problem is that it is not a eprfect arc adn a fixed wrap bar will bind. If you go the shackle route, have your upper bar be parallel with the frame where it attachees to the shackle at static ride height. The sliding mechanism can be run at angles, www.trail-gear.com has brackets and a kit for a sliding bar.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I get axle wrap BAD. I wanna fab up some ladder bars but I need some help. I guess what I don't understand is what movement the rear axle makes as it cycles from full compression to full droop. does it indeed make an arc? if so how do I find the radius of the arc to know the length of arms to make? eccentially what traction bar/ leaf sprung setups are out there that don't bind while the suspension cycles?
:D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
is that a slip joint?

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
mines MUCH more ghetto than that.

I used the shackle design. With only one traction bar, designed like a ladder bar, with rubber ends, I get good flex with no wheelhop.

My traction bar is about 38 inches long, i think. shackle is in compression, though, and not in tension. that is because of the amount of lift and location of the shackle mount.

what do i know, im just a ******* with a 110 wire feed and boogerwelds.

·
Trail Tampon
6,028 Posts
those are good examples, but most of us dont have room for it on top the driveshaft. you can put it to the side of the differential and still be fine. (normally the side without the exhaust just to make life easier)

also follow the diagram above, my first revision...

i was trying to cut back on material and made one long peice and one short peice, the short peice put so much upward force on the longer tube, it cracked clean in half after an hour on the trail.

now mine looks just like the diagram.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I made one in the past. I found one from MORE that was very reasonably priced when I considered a day to get the materials together and make one. I bought it and installed it. I run it with the shackle in compression since I wanted it up high and out of the way. You need a hiem or johnny joint withthe shackle to allow it to rotate with the axle when flexing.

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/more.htm

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the pics guys, looks simple enough. what angle should I shoot for between the shackle and upper tube at ride height, 90*? also how many inches of separation are sufficient at the axle?

·
Trail Tampon
6,028 Posts
90* is the angle but a couple degrees off will not hurt. you just dont want to impeed the movement of the axle. verticle separation is not important so keep the lower mounting point up so it wont drag. 4 to 6" of separation on the axle should be all you need.

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
Different end than you're thinking but its more of the less represented slip style.

I went slip style just because of the travel I needed being a front app with the shackles on the back side of the leafs like most.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
So when I build mine the top tube may not be parallel with the frame rail should I still make the shackle 90 deg from the top tube?

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Different end than you're thinking but its more of the less represented slip style.

I went slip style just because of the travel I needed being a front app with the shackles on the back side of the leafs like most.
How does this setup work for you? I run a slip style on the rear but I can't decide if a slip in front will work against the rotation of the shackle and cause bind. :confused:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I ran a shackle style traction bar up front, but it limited the flex too much.

My second version is the slip and twist style.... much better!
Here are some photos of the front axle, I can't find any photos of the rear axle traction bar.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts