Pirate 4x4 banner

221 - 240 of 286 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,651 Posts
binderbound said:
Between the FI, 5.13's, and37's it runs and drivers better than it did with a carb, 4.27's, and 31's:D :D I'll post pics when I get home.

STOKED for sure!:smokin:
I might have overdone it with 5.89s and 35s. We'll see.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Blind Driver said:
Looks like that is a severe shackle angle on the front spring hangers. Maybe a frame extension is in order?
A nice bumper and winch would help too :grinpimp:
You must not know much about 80's. The winch goes behind the grille, in the factory location. As for a bumper, I'm a minimalist. as per the pic.

james west said:
i was waiting to see if you'd clean up/paint the engine bay...but i really dig the patina of the whole truck...its like a rat wheeler
Is there any other kind? I have only painted about 20% of the fresh fab work. Rust has its own special color. This truck only has 116K on the ticker. It spent its whole life 100 yards from the ocean.

As for the buckteeth, They arent that bad. the pic really over-exaggerates the angle. I'm hoping they will act like a skid plate and help me glide up and over rocks:laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
I started on my tool/gear carrier. I picked up these ammo boxes for CHEAP so I decided why the hell not. i'm setting the rig up so in the event I ditch the skins and run a more buggy set up, im ready. I'll do the tire carrier tomorrow. Still need to make a top bar/lock for the ammo boxes.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Got the carrier done for the most part. I dont have latches, I just bolted them together. I need to re vamp that and I want to move the tire up a few inches. other than that it was a total high school shop project. Nothing lined up, my copes werent sweet and my welds looked like re-fried dog shit. I'm not thrilled with it but it will work for a while.

If you cant tell, it hinges down like a tailgate so its easy to get the tire off and you dont get killed by an out of controll side swing carrier. Yeah, i know....PSC. So what:flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
binderbound said:
If you cant tell, it hinges down like a tailgate so its easy to get the tire off and you dont get killed by an out of controll side swing carrier. Yeah, i know....PSC. So what:flipoff2:
So how easy is it to open and shut your "tailgate" without getting a hernia? :D

·
Registered
943 Posts
binderbound said:
...and my welds looked like re-fried dog shit...
Yuck. Now that's a mental image I could'a done without at lunch time! :barf:

...As for a bumper, I'm a minimalist. as per the pic...
I'm a little concerned about them teeth sticking out. If you bop one of them straight on you could easily bust a spring. As someone else stated earlier; Unlike 'fangs', front mounted shackles that stick out will move back when struck and transfer force onto the spring (which is of course rigidly mounted at the rear here). It'd be like dropping your front wheel into a hole while reversing and tagging the shackle against a rock with a RS rig. I'm just web wheeling though... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
Creepy196 said:
I'm a little concerned about them teeth sticking out. If you bop one of them straight on you could easily bust a spring. As someone else stated earlier; Unlike 'fangs' front mounted shackles that stick out will move back and transfer force onto the spring (which is of course rigidly mounted at the rear here). It'd be like dropping your front wheel into a hole while reversing and tagging the shackle against a rock with a RS rig. I'm just web wheeling though... :rolleyes:
The shackles on Rock Scout stick out almost as bad and we have run them up and into quite a few different rocks, used them to knock off chuncks and as a "skid plate" on various course. Haven't had much of a problem with them, sure sometimes they hang us up and we have to try a different line, but it's just one more thing you have to watch out. Dan's pretty comfortable behind the wheel of Rock Scout, and knows full well what out there, so he'll be just as comfortable behind the wheel of this rig.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
binderbound said:
Side shot. I'm gonna try and get a Hi-lift and shovel on there somewhere too.
You solved the problem my Scout has --- no room in the trunk. I tried to design something for my spare tire - but with out a bender nothing I thought up looked good enough - you've seen where mine ended up - smack dab in the middle of the bed...

Nice work!

·
Premium Member
9,651 Posts
james west said:
i really dig the patina of the whole truck...its like a rat wheeler:grinpimp:
I like it too. I think it looks kinda funny with the halftop on, like some old farm truck out where it's not supposed to be.

I have been watching this thread because it has given me some good ideas. The ass end of my cage is just like yours, and I was thinking of building a swing out gate (like for your ammo cans) and some kind of tire carrier.

221 - 240 of 286 Posts