Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
binderbound said:
My gears came in Monday,as did my cell and fuel parts.

My buddy has a lathe so he is helping me turn my spindles for my FF 44.we got 1 done completely and the other one half way done.I took pics so I'll post them real soon.

I'm gonna set up the front end this weekend or the first part of next week.

I coppedout and am having the rear set up by a pro.I figure the rear is gonna see all the action so I don't want to compromise on it.maybe on the next one:shaking:

Pics on the way!
That would be cool, otherwise, we're only taking your word for it. :smokin:

·
Registered
239 Posts
I put a set of gears in my Scout II a few years ago, worked out good. I need to put some 488's in the Scout 800 now plus I need new gears and a Detroit in my 69 SWB C-10. I have a 60 ton press, and dial indicator, still need the parts. The only thing slowing me down is the fear of fucking up.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Picked my rear axle up from the gear shop today.5.13's and the Detroit nestled in their new home.My spindles are done too.All I need to do is weld on some perches and order my custom shafts and I got the rear done!

Pics to come, I promise.

Hitting the junk yards Sunday for my springs.any last comments on springs before its too late to turn back?

·
Registered
70 Posts
hey had a quick question. some one help me out.

why is the the wagoneer axle easier than a chevy?

why not find a full width IH D44.? how close are they?

I am just asking...i am about to go full width on my 800 and just looking at options. I heard alot of times the chevy has so much caster built in so you wouldn't have to cut and turn.

I dont know what to use for the front currently the plan is to use a 9" (64in WMS) in the rear and a chevy front. just afraid it may look :rainbow: . and the springs so far are MRscout 2.5". Basically. What works, looks cool and drives/wheels well.?

·
Registered
420 Posts
New here. I have some wrangler springs if you are still looking. I am in Lafayette, Indiana. Have no idea on shipping. Would rather sell to you than to the local jeepers. How's $50.00 for all 4? +shipping of course.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Keep your shirts on kids!Sunday you will have your pics.

The spindles are just 44 front spindles turned down to match the ID of the bearing surface of the rear end.then we opened up the ID of the spindle to pass the shaft through.the ID of the spindle was 1.28 and we opened it to 1.39.the new shafts are 1.31.the spindle wall is a little thin but I'm not too worried.I probably wouldn't run this on a heavy rig but my scout weighs 3700lbs,so I feel ok about it.

Meho check your PM's!

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
binderbound said:
The spindles are just 44 front spindles turned down to match the ID of the bearing surface of the rear end.then we opened up the ID of the spindle to pass the shaft through.the ID of the spindle was 1.28 and we opened it to 1.39.the new shafts are 1.31.the spindle wall is a little thin but I'm not too worried.I probably wouldn't run this on a heavy rig but my scout weighs 3700lbs,so I feel ok about it.
That’s interesting, I remember looking at GM front spindles before to "convert" into rear D44 FF spindles. This was when I had a FF kit for some Jeep axle and was "reverse engineering" it. I didn't find enough meat in the flange to turn down to fit into a D44 housing.

Wonder if you have different spindles? Or if its a Waggy thing.

I would be interested in pictures as well, before, during and after... even though I have passed the D44 stage :D

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Here are the pics you all wanted. I am a fly by the seat of my pants kind of fabricator so problems were addressed on the fly. It was fun. we'll see if it hold up. First set of pics are during the machining process.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Here is the first problem i ran into. The spindle bolt pattern is smaller than the flange. Sort of. I had to make my own T bolts just to get it done.

Second pic is the second problem. To get the caliper bracket to sit where its supposed to, some of the holes ran into other holes. I used a 3/8's, 2 flute, self centering, end mill to drill the holes without walking out into the exsisting holes. I'm not super keen about the bolt heads sitting over the other openings. Im gonna machine some washers down or something to cover it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
finally the finished product. All bolted up and brackets on. I want to cover those holes, but other than that its ready for spring pads.

it came out about 1/2" wider than stock which I can live with.

Rear is loaded with 5.13's and a detroit, in case your wondering. Im gonna use that flimsy thin cover as a dog dish and get a thick cover with some protection added.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Dan,

What spring combo did you end up with?? Any luck at the JY's? I read somewhere else you got green in the shop, so I am wondering what you decided suspension wise?

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
My work sched has been outa controll lately so I haven't been able to get to the yards.I think I'm gonna go with 52"chevs.

I'm gonna try and get at least a pair so I can start on the rear. This week hopefully.

Orderd my aussie locker.need to get some steel and I can start on the fab parts.

Stay tuned for pics!

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
My work sched has been outa controll lately so I haven't been able to get to the yards.I think I'm gonna go with 52"chevs.

I'm gonna try and get at least a pair so I can start on the rear. This week hopefully.

Orderd my aussie locker.need to get some steel and I can start on the fab parts.

Stay tuned for pics!

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
whats the reliability of the full float looking like so far

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
So far I haven't got to test it yet.its still sitting on the bench.I'm not super impressed with only 1/8+of stickout into the axle housing,but with 5 3/8 grade 8 bolts,I don't think the spindle is gonna walk out on me.as far as durability I think full 30 spline shafts and drive flanges will be plenty tough for 4cyl and 35s.

Got my 52 inch springs today.I'm gonna run 48 inch chevs in the front.they just fit better on mock up.

Fabbed my shackle hangers today.also started on my spring pads too.

Pics to come.

21 - 40 of 286 Posts