Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i like to take the kid out to the sierras and go campin and fishin, and there are a lot of places to explore in some of these areas(legally) on a bike. hes 12 and rides an xr100, i need a bike to ride with him, im 165 pounds, and like tight twisty single track or just fire roads that go forever(explore) up in the sierras...im currently stuck on my girlfriends xr100 or worse yet, an old kdx 80 with no suspension and when it finally gets on the pipe, im looped on my arrse:D

a newer but used xr 250, klx 300, kdx, or my dream bike ktm 200:D something with LOTS of bottom end and no overheating issues when driven in the first two gears continuously when its 90+ degrees out...

ideas?:cool:

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
my ktm!

I'm putting in today new top end, water pump parts, seals throughout.

It still looks brand new. has 2 scratches!

and it has new tires!

buy it now so I can get another bike for mexico!

$3000cash, firm like an 18year old virgin!

Edit* the over heating issues ktms have is water related. coolanol and fresh water pump parts stop all probs! I'm fixing it today!

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
KDX 200 is a sweet bike.. Low first gear,, perfect for trails with you being a little guy.. Or look at the wr's good low first.. Stay away from Phils bike for a trail bike.. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
it's a kick ass trail bike. it's geared down. runs great before power band as well. never needs to be cleared out

in fact I just pulled the top end out after 4500 miles and it's still perfect! so suck it :D

I think it's sold anyways!

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
If I was to want to go ride trials with my young son then A high powered 2 stroke meant to be on a track with its close ratio tranny is not my idea of a trail bike.. now if you were out with the boys tearing shit up thats a whole differant story.. So suck it your self:D

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
phils bike would kill me, i still have seat upholstery in my rectum from a gasgas250 i swung a leg over....:eek: and my kid would get sick of eating my roost...i kinda got the honda hookup, got the '03 xr's for $2200/each out the door.

is there a wr250 available yet?

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
I'd say an XR.

I'm about your size and ride an xr350. Fun bike. Rides like a Caddy. :D
Pretty much zero maintenance too.

Someday I'd like to get a hopped-up xr250 or xr400...

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
A kdx 200 is a great trail bike..Thats What I got my girlfriend to ride in the woods..I like to ride it too somtimes when you just want to explore and chill ride..An xr would be another good choise.mybe a xr500 so ya have the poop when ya wnat it,and there cheap.Persoanlly I like my 98 rm250.I got a killer deal so could not pass it up.So now I guess you need to know if ya want a 4stroke or two before ya buy...

·
Banned
272 Posts
Sounds like a XR250R would be perfect for you. GETMETOCA on www.dirtrider.net has an '01 or '02 for sale - she upgraded to a KTM RFS250. I think the bike is on the D36 website that's linked above as well - she's in Modesto. Making the bike street legal via a Baja Designs kit will open up an incredible amount of fireroads/two track to you. I've logged plenty of miles on my wife's dual sported '92 XR250R without any trouble and I'm 6'4"/255. What the bike lacks in power it makes up for with a really low 1st gear. If you're interested in an older XR let me know as my wife has been talking about selling her bike since she really doesn't ride it much any more due to her back problems. It has a 4 gallon Clark tank that gives the bike a range of over 150 miles. Also has the stock tank.

Brian

·
Registered
435 Posts
I got a 02 yz250f that kicks ass anywhere. I doesnt overheat and has a ton of low end power. I will sell it to you for a good price with all my gear and some extra parts.

·
Registered
768 Posts
You could buy my 2002 KLX 300R. I need cash for jeep parts. WIll sell for 3700. Nice ride. DOHC, 4 valve per. , 6 sp trans, Plenty of power throughout. 4Stroke reliability. Awesome bike. Truely is the best trail bike.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Where to start? I'm 6'1" and about 170, but make it 185 with all my gear on. I'm currently on a re-jetted and supertrapped XR250 that I find to be a lot of fun...BUT...does not have enough power in the long hall. Also, me being on the tall side, the frame seems a little small these days. I don't know how tall you are Paul, but for me, I would go with the XR400. If you are over 5'8" and have some good experience on a bike, go for the 400, you won't regret it later. I guarentee you're gonna want bigger than a 250 down the road. That said, I ride a KLX300 also that a buddy has, we swap a lot when on the trail. I am die-hard Honda, so I hate to say it, but that Kawi kits ass. Great suspension, Great power, Water Cooled, what more to ask for? If your height fits your weight, I would guess you to be in the 5'7"-5'9" range. Depending on dealers in your area, if this holds true, I would go with the Kawi. Later down the road when you want more power, slap exhaust and a high-comp piston in, you got your power. If you get real insane, you jump to the new 450's from yami, honda or KTM. There is also something to be said about XR reliability. If you aren't buying a used bike, I would end you search with an XR. I can testify to reliablility issue, within 200 feet of my house, are 5 different neighbors on XRs. A 70, two 250s, a 350 and a 400. Add my 250 into the mix, call it 6. We all ride our bikes HARD, with only routine maintanence such as filter cleaning, chaing lubing and oil changes. The 350 is an 85 I believe, and he has owned it since new. I shit you not when I say the thing has never been cleaned. The motor is just a big block of dried mud, but that fawker starts, purrs, and has bottom end like none other. All this said, I think you would be happiest on that Kawi 300, or the XR400, you just can't beat the bottom end of a bigger bore 4-stroke. It all boils down to your height, and what's available to you. That's my .02 cents and I'm gonna shut up now! Later...
Allan

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
DOnt forget the TTR250, exactly liek an XR 250 but the new ones have E-start. The new 03-WR250's are e-start too. They are now available.

You can never go wrong with a reliable XR they run for ever. Either the XR250 or xr400.

The KLX's are nice and you cant beat a KDX200 or 220. But i dont like 2 smokers.

If your looking for something new and inexpensive check out the new CRF230 honda's. Good play bike. They are about $3200

That said, I love my YZ250f in the woods, starts as easy as a two smoker and has more bottom end than you need, plus it revs forever. I am 6' tall 165 lbs and the bike RIPS.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
The KDX200 cant be beat dollar for dollar

I'm 220 and I ride a XR100 with my kids on thier PW50 and PW80.
My CR500 is just to loud for us to talk to eachother and the low seat height/super easy starting makes it easy for me to hop on and off to help them on the trail.

·
Registered
193 Posts
another vote here for the kdx200! This bike is THE woods/trail bike to have as far as I'm concerned. I have five bikes including a couple three wheelers, but if I had to choose one bike and one alone to ride all the time it would be the kdx. In my opinion this is a great bike to get for someone who has limited experience and wants something they can grow into, and not out of. I've had a 94 model since about 96, it has never let me down when all my other bikes woudln't run. Very tame for a two stroke in stock form, but has plenty of low end grunt for climbing hills, and won't stall out easily like most high strung mx bikes. They can be gotten cheap as dirt, and really wake up with a few mods once the rider gets better. I am a big guy, 6'-1, 250 pounds, and the bike has more than enough to tote me around. I bought a fmf pipe for mine, and modded the airbox lid to breathe better, rejetted etc, and noticed somewhat of a power increase, but when I put a set of boyeson power reeds on with the other mods the bike really came alive. It will throttle wheelie easily in third gear now with stock gearing, and will top out around 70 something with the six speed.

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what about an 89 rmx 250??? friend has one collecting cobwebs in his garage:D rmx, means low end torque and wide ratio tranny, right?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts