Pirate 4x4 banner

181 - 200 of 542 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Snow is melting fast.. went in Saturday morning and out Sunday morning, at least a foot less snow.

we made it to just before buck with fairly simple trucks, before heading back to camp. if these high temps over night stick around it'll be gone quick.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Trav is supposed to post pics today...

20' drifts. But they look like 40' with Hussey standing next to them. LOL! (jk Huss)

Even.without the snow, the log jam would stop everyone from making it without going off trail.

Big sluice is clear..... Indian trail before buck has some snow, but is easily done...
Good news that big sluice is clear, sounds like some saw work is needed in the springs.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just got off the trail should be able to get a two wheel drive threw to loon by the end of the week it was hot 70ish today made it in past Ellis no problems

·
Registered
593 Posts
Two people coming out today claim to have camped at buck island this weekend in half buggys half truck

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Uhhh.... saws ain't gunna do it.

It's gunna need a chopper or heavy equipment.
We made it to the springs was actually pretty easy going. The log jam just needs some one to clear it. Real lumberjack saws will work not those homeowner fag saws. Looking forward to heading back in on Thursday.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Uploading pics now will get them up in a few mins. We left the chalet on saturday at about 8:30 and made it to the springs around 12:45. There was snow, lots.......but lots for june. I have been there with way worse but earlier in the year. The only spot that was bad snowy area was walker hill and the hill on the backside of spider, I think its called million dollar hill or something? There is lots of water flowing on the trail for sure! The area right above old sluice was about 3ft deep. From buck to the springs no snow whatsoever. The springs were really tore up!! JJ usa better get there butts in gear, it looks like the water was really high this year, it took out about 5 of the newer nice bathrooms they put in and a tree took out another. There was also a fair amount of snow from just past the dirty dozen camp to the base of caddy hill. Pics to come in a few mins....:flipoff2:

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Its been over 20.... whats your defenition of a few??:flipoff2:

Did you have to winch Walker, or did you drive it?
Had to winch it. But the snow was melting so fast that on the way back thru it looked like half the snow had melted that was there.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Had to winch Walker, but just that little slot after the log bridge. Also winched off Travis to get tge rest of the way up Thousand dollar hill. Cleared a couple logs out of the trail down by the springs, and started some water draining.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Tcarp1, what would your guess be for how things would look for getting to the campground at loon for a 4x4 F350 crew cab w/ a camper and a flat bed towing a trail rig? Same question for my Jeep on 35's towing my hard sided pop up camping trailer on Saturday June 25th?

Also, we've got 3 of us locked F&R on 35's that are thinking of going from Loon to Buck Island. Realistic or not if we are planning on entering the trail on June 26th?

If we tent camped at Buck, would we pretty much be camping on top of snow?

We're coming from Washington State, so we have to make a go or no-go decision within the next day or two at the most. Planning on hitting the road on Friday morning June 24th From WA.

I really, really appreciate yours (or anyone else w/ first hand knowledge) insight. We don't want to drive 750 miles and have the trip a bust.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
with temps approaching the mid 90's this coming week in Reno, there is going to be some serious melting going on up there. id make the trip if you have it planned already.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Cleared a couple logs out of the trail down by the springs, and started some water draining.
Thanks for taking time to clear the trail and work the drainage... if everyone helps a little, that minimizes bypasses around 'seasonal tough stuff' :cool2:

We're coming from Washington State, so we have to make a go or no-go decision within the next day or two at the most.
Just tread lightly and be prepared to pull cable instead of matting the skinny pedal... the worst that can happen is that you just run in and out as far as you're comfortable, and maybe don't make it as far as you'd like. Buck Lake is a great destination, but this time of year, you can camp anywhere and have water handy for cooking, cleaning, and etc. The water at Buck can only be a few degrees warmer than solid water in snowbank form... definite shrinkage, either way. :laughing:

Thanks to the work of many folks for many years, Rubicon remains open year-round to motorized recreational use. Summer use always picks up, and I've surely got cabin fever... seeing pics makes me smile.

Randii

p.s. - congratulations in advance on the wedding, have a great weekend!

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Does anyone know it Airport campground is clear for a tow rig? Gerle Creek CG?

Thanks be safe all!!
Airport is clear. Gerle Creek should be but is "Closed for the Season" for repairs, all the gates are shut tight.

181 - 200 of 542 Posts