Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 542 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Going up the end of june, any ideas or predictions on what the snow will be like if any? Also, is the trail still paved or was it "put back" to a 4wd trail? Or am I going to be able to do a 120mph on the con? I have some people from way out of state coming out expecting to see some rocks and wheeling.:p

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Going up the end of june, any ideas or predictions on what the snow will be like if any? Also, is the trail still paved or was it "put back" to a 4wd trail? Or am I going to be able to do a 120mph on the con? I have some people from way out of state coming out expecting to see some rocks and wheeling.:p
First, I think by the end of June the trail should be fine. THere will still be some snow in places away from the trail, and some drifts across the trail in a few places on the Tahoe side. Other that that, you'll be good, I think.

Second, the county did not put the rocks back. They'll be back up to work in June, didn't make sense to put the rocks back in November to return the trail to normal, have it sit under snow for six months, and then pull the rocks back out as soon as the snow melts. When the work is done, they've promised to put stuff back.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Also going up in June (less then 30 days), looking forward to the snow report (with pics!)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Planning a trip for fathers day weekend with my daughter hopefully can get into the box to camp a couple nights not looking to go to crazy. It will be her first crawling trip. Lets hope mother nature plays nice and warms up to melt some snow.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Planning a trip for fathers day weekend with my daughter hopefully can get into the box to camp a couple nights not looking to go to crazy. It will be her first crawling trip. Lets hope mother nature plays nice and warms up to melt some snow.
I think there's a very good chance that the trail will be ok by then, with the exception of the Tahoe side. Pray for sunny days :)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
As resqme stated, it's possible. The TLCA event was that weekend, but we've moved it to July since we can't be sure it will be clear enough on the Tahoe side to get the Mog down to the springs.

Last year, with less of a snow pack, it took us 12 hours to get from Tahoe to the springs, on the way out it only took 5 -- the snow does melt fast, but it's unpredictable with the recent weather.

·
Registered
109 Posts
man 2:30 and im off work!!! its gonna be a F*(kin blast this weekend!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
BRRRR!

How was the climb out of the bowl?
my buddy "yodaman7" went up last saturday to check it out for this weekend.

he went to the ellis side of the bowl. he said leaving the bowl took him a good 40 min to get out...granted he has 4Runner with some 35" KM2's:D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes about 8-10" of snow fell over a 5 hr period, was blowing in sideways for a bit. A bit more seemed to fall in the open areas as the tracks were all but filled in.

Climbing out of the bowl was a fun time. The fresh snow covered up the old snow that was icy from the prior 27 degree temps at night and made traction tough for us. Took about 45 minutes to get up it and a few pulls of cable.

Coming out of the spill way to the top of the dam was sketchy, due to the off camber drifts from the top. We went the safe way and took the low side, got one rig up then ran a safety from the top of the dam to the other rigs sliders. Didn't have any problems but made us feel better.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Gloomy and dark up here today looks like the skys could open up any minute
They did, but not bad. Drizzled off and on most of the day, foggy at night. I went in to day run and look at snow conditions. Last weekend's storm didn't change much...still losing the pack pretty steady, lost about a foot this week (typical melt is two feet a week, so it is a bit slower). Lots of big holes that weren't there last week.

I know, that's what I get for letting the dog drive :flipoff2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Oh, and the obligatory Ellis bathroom pic...

Attachments

21 - 40 of 542 Posts