Pirate 4x4 banner

421 - 440 of 542 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I was planning on going this weekend but plans have changed.due to weather! Con is supposed to get snowed on hard with a high of 9degrees.
:eek:

I guess winter's come early huh? If anyone gets up there, please take some pics and post up.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Went in Friday late afternoon, stayed through this afternoon. Wentworth Springs road: Snow and ice on road from Quintette all the way over Hartless. Maybe four inches over the top. Road into Loon is plowed to power station and in great shape. My guess is about 4-6 inches at Loon with most of the trail being the same. Very icy, granite is slick! Be careful. Temps very low over night, go prepared. Storm was coming back in as we left, expecting another 6-8 inches tonight:smoking:

Some Pics:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Dude , I think you need a new camera. Those pics look like they were taken by a pro or sumpin :laughing:very nice

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just got back, will post some pics in a bit, but as curly mentioned, cold and icy.
We got to the top of walker hill and spent the night. Probably one of the colder nights I have ever spent in a tent.
As we were leaving the another storm was rolling in. There were still quite a few rigs out there. We wish you the best...

·
Team 261 - VP
4,869 Posts
Dude , I think you need a new camera. Those pics look like they were taken by a pro or sumpin :laughing:very nice
He seriously needs new junk. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #429
Yup, what everyone's saying...it was seriously cold this weekend. Lots of slick icy granite and lots of winching. Winched halfway up the bowl and about the time we got to the S turn the air warmed up just enough to get tracrtion and we scooted up the rest of the way.

At Spider on Thursday night 8-10 inches of snow that started wet and dried out quickly, overnight temp of 9 degrees, periods of hard snow on and off all day Friday, overnight temp of 18 degrees, and then snow on the way out Saturday. Gotta be another 8-10 inches up there now, as we have 4 inches in Pollock at 4000 feet.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Nope, we just went to post pile. Sorry I didn't get in touch with you Saturday, my battery is toast on the Ham.

No problem Tim. Probably wouldn't have heard it over the chainsaw anyway:) I have a feeling we'll hook up again.
Talk soon,
Tim

·
5,906 Posts
also from Fri-Sat

This really shows how the trail improvements are doing well and not creating an impact even though there is snow. Good work!!

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Small report: Day run over Hartless, into bottom of bowl and out loon. Maybe four inches of fresh powder over the Hartless pass. Much the same for most of the trail in the Loon Lake area.

Just wanted to add a note to this update. Ice! Temps during the day on Saturday did not get much above freezing if at all. I think the temp gauge did touch 33 degrees at one point but thats it. Our departure from the bowl was interesting to say the least and just reminded us of how important it is this time of year to go prepared.

The bowl is a sheet of ice with water running beneath it. We used a total of 100ft of winch cable along with three 30ft straps, two tree savers and a chain. As we all know winch points in the bowl are somewhat sparse:) Point being, without the extra equipment this simple day run could have turned into an overnight excursion. Extra food and equipment are a must this time of the year.

Go prepared, Communications, Don't travel alone. Have fun be safe:)

More pics to come after I get the Computer working:(

Just walking up the bowl was a chore. Straps o'plenty:)

·
Registered
918 Posts
This was the 100 ft. of winch. Tried out the XRC10 for the first time. Very impressive for the price :) and as Tim said "go prepared"

Attachments

421 - 440 of 542 Posts