Pirate 4x4 banner

61 - 80 of 542 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Please post up Trail Conditions on the Tahoe side.
We will be in Tahoma for a week starting June 12th.
Debating on bringing my Scout or finding a Boat to tow up.
I'll be updating the first post in this thread as conditions change, it should be correct now!

The first post in this thread is consistently upgraded as info rolls in, so you can always check there.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
As for the Tahoe side, one of our members checked it out on foot Tuesday. The staging area road is plowed for a couple hundred yards beyond the last houses, and then is 3-5' for the 1/4 mile he hoofed it. And of course that is the lowest elevation.

Here is an article from the Tahoe Daily Tribune quoting the weather service saying the pack is 450% above average. :eek:

I rec'd 4" snow on Sat, a couple on Sun, and a couple more last night and the only place it isn't sticking is on the pavement. There were chain controls on hwy 50 yesterday, in the 30 years I've been here that is the first time I recall seeing that in June.

People planning on going in from the Tahoe side in mid June will be having a winch fest and won't be doing us or the trail any favors imho.

http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/article/20110601/NEWS/110609995/1068&ParentProfile=1056

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Well it hailed here yesterday, and dumped a lot more rain. (3500')

I`d imagine they got some wet snow on the `Con yesterday/night/today/now.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
I'll be going up Friday and will confirm those conditions are current, they were as of Monday.
John- as it turns out, I'll be heading up tomorrow morning so I might run into you. Disco's coming up after work. I'm taking your suggestion and camping at the Kiosk.

If anyone comes up this weekend, Disco & I will be working the Kiosk for FOTR. Be sure to stop by and say hi :smokin:

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Well, I guess if it is going to be a crappy run from Tahoe, Guess I will just drive around to Loon. But geeze, from Susanville to Loon it a haul... :(

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Not the Con, but pretty cool nuntheless.....

This pic is from JNel on the board, he lives up in Alturas. This pic is near Quincy in early April...

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Hot off the press, I mean memory card...

I hiked in to water bar number eight this morning. That's the Arizona crossing one and it was flowing near capacity. Give it a few days of warm weather and it will be flowing over capacity.

This is the first snow drift you'll come to on the paved road. You'll find this all along the paved section of the trail. 75% of the pavement is still under snow.

This shot is just past the staging area. Note the steep sidehill. More than likely, you'll end up in the trees. This is typical all along the trail this time of year.

Further up the trail, it is still VERY wet. I'm suggesting that we stay off the trail until the Fourth of July weekend.

Remember, we are not alone out there, nor are we at the top of the food chain...

Happy Trails!

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Thanks for the pictures, Doug. HARSH sidehills in that second pic.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Rubicon Springs pics

Taken from public domain...JJUSA made a recon trip into Rubicon Springs...check this out:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
Nope yesterday!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you all for the information on the trail conditions. We have a trip planned for the 24th of June and are watching reports regularly. Don's want to drive down from Washington if it is still to wet or snowy to drive.

·
Registered
102 Posts
According to the weather forecasts I've been seeing online, It's been raining at south lake tahoe for the last few days, and it will be in the 60s and 70s tuesday. anyone really close to loon to report on this or not?

61 - 80 of 542 Posts