Pirate 4x4 banner

301 - 320 of 397 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Scott,
I agree to your above post 100% I personally did not know that they have gone through the trail before and moved rocks back into place, that changes my view on the situation.
The county has not moved any rocks back into the trail since starting their work a couple years ago. If they would it wouldn't be so bad. Sure hoping RTF and the other orgs doing work up there have a good plan to get with the county when they are finishing up work to help point out sections of the trail where rocks should be moved back.

·
Pirate Chick
616 Posts
"The county has not moved any rocks back into the trail since starting their work a couple years ago." I know pretty personally that , yes, they have; but still leaving it in such a way so that can get back in the next year. Which is how it will be for awhile yet because the RMK put the Water Quality District on the County's back. No choice. Be glad it is open, 42 other trail in this forest are NOT.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Fixed it for you.................:homer:

This conversation has happened for the last three years every summer when the County begins work on the trail for the season. The county has committed to replacing larger rocks in to the trail as it finishes the work. So, since it is not finished we can expect that the trail will be easier for a while still. Then, either the County or FOTR will be responsible for returning some of the difficulty to the trail.

I fully accept that if that is the way it needs to be to keep it open, then that is what needs to happen. As Craig said, we have work coming up later this year on Postpile and Jerry and I have been talking with the County about portions of the Old Sluice and having FOTR be responsible for maintaining those locations.

Also, remember that the County proclaimed in Jan 2010 that the rocks in Little Sluice would be resized, so that should be expected too.

What is needed is a good response to the calls to come work on those spots that we have to maintain for ourselves. The County is depending on us to support them as we have been supporting the County's willingness to do what it takes to keep the trail open. Without their support, we would have lost it years ago and all this forum would be, would be a history report.

Rubicon Trail Foundation along with the rest of the appellants for the easement that the County submitted to the USFS have been working on an agreement to do just what I am saying here. Keep the trail open and allow the users to be the ones to be sure that it does. Isn't that how it should be?? Us in control of our own destiny?? I think so.

The complaints I am hearing, are all about how bummed, angry, upset etc. that someone is that the trail has changed. The Rubicon will always be the Rubicon unless it is no longer there. It has had many transformations over the 12.5 decades that it has been in existence and I think it will transform over the next 12.5 decades. I think the trail has changed for the better over the last many years because people are there that care about what happens to it. People still break, get stuck and have fun in the great outdoors. THAT should never change.

The mission of RTF is: "To enhance the future health and use of the trail, while ensuring responsible, year-round motorized trail access." So far, I think it is working!!
Thanks for that, I guess my big worry is that making the trail more accessible, to me, sounds like it will allow more general people with no real care and connection to the trail to pass through with less of a light foot than those of us who have been fighting for this trail in recent years.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey guys
There are two of us heading in this weekend, 7-13 to 7-15. We are curious about the chance of thunderstorms. It says 30% chance right now for Friday and Saturday. To those of you with experience, what are those thunderstorms like.

I ask because I only have a safari top and would like to have no doors. We went on Memorial day weekend and got dumped with snow. I am well aware of how volatile the weather is up there. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
If there are some they usually pass pretty quick. But can pour pretty heavy. Usually in the after noon. But I doubt any will happen this week. I will be up there 7/11-15th.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Anybody got pic's of Big sluice? The rock with the tree in it.
I noticed 4 or 5 holes drilled in the top of it. (Is DOT blasting it?)
Later somebody said it was broken in half and the tree is gone.
We didn't get pics but the tree is down and rock cracked and the down hill side fell into the trail. We did cut the tree into pieces also.
I saw the holes drilled but the tree and rock was still up Saturday around noon.

Why was the tree cut exactly? And how did the rock crack and roll down the hill?
There was a tree down across the trail on Big Sluice, so I cut it!! How the rock cracked? I have no idea. It didn't roll down the hill, it rolled into the trail.
yes thats the tree.. and rock.. it had holes drilled on Saturday. Dont know about it now.. It is a tight squeeze..
Just to clarify about the rock in the big sluice, it fell on its own. The county had nothing to do with it. It actually made the trail more difficult as the slab is now in the trail. The tree fell along with the rock. The county won't be to big sluice for a month or two. Please don't blame the county.
Since these rocks do contribute to trail conditions, I have an additional observation. I know someone else must be wondering.

If the rock fell on its own, what is with the holes drilled in it?

Perhaps there are other interests besides the County enhancing the trail conditions. Just perhaps.

·
Registered
915 Posts
No honey, I don't think so:

Note the placement of the Large Boulder on the right.

Wait i'm confused. ...

This is me going over this rock on friday 6/29. And it was there when i went out on sunday 7/1.

Are they really getting rid of this rock or what? I love this dang spot on the trail because of that rock. Damn

·
5,906 Posts
Went by there twice this last weekend. The rock is still there, just off to the side and not in the track anymore.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bringing this back,
Any updates with trail changes or weather recently?
May head up there this weekend so just wanted to check here first.

·
Team 261 - VP
4,869 Posts
Bringing this back,
Any updates with trail changes or weather recently?
May head up there this weekend so just wanted to check here first.
Weather....20% chance of rain Saturday...but warm. Sunday, a little cooler, no rain in forecast.

Trail changes: Constantly.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Trail was pretty slick sunday morning when we started. Then it dried out and was dusty.

As far as trail conditions its mostly paved:flipoff2::shaking:

Amazing how much the trail has changed especially big sluice.:barf:

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Trail was pretty slick sunday morning when we started. Then it dried out and was dusty.

As far as trail conditions its mostly paved:flipoff2::shaking:

Amazing how much the trail has changed especially big sluice.:barf:
That tree fell down or was pulled down by users winching off of it. Mute point as its gone, in doing so the rock split, so it's a bit easier to get a full sized rig through there.

The DOT crews have worked hard and stabilizing the banks. They have built several water bars on that section too. I think the crews are doing a great job. Sure some of it might look easier, but wait a season or two. It gets dug up fast.

Hey did you take the inside line (hard core) or the outside path?

A shot of where the tree used to be too. FWIW users are stacking as many rocks on that hill as the DOT crews. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Took the outside line as it appeared to be closed off at the moment by other large boulders. Was 10pm and we wanted to get to the springs after being on the road since 6am. They def are doing some good work and I agree with you it will change after a season or two of snow melts and weather and use.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
Bringing this back to the top. First decent snow of the season today! 6" of slushy snow today at Loon, trail conditions will be leaning toward winter for the rest fo the year.

From the first page:

Remember, bring appropriate gear for cold and wet camping, and expect weather to change rapidly. Well built and maintained rigs with larger tires, winches, lots of extrication equipment (xtra straps and cable, clevis, snatch block, etc.), communications (ham or satellite) and lockers should be your plan if you want to wheel in the high country from now until spring. Expect overnight temps in the 20's or lower, come prepared with good gear and extra clothing!

301 - 320 of 397 Posts