Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 537 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plans are D60 front, 10.25 rear, cage, boat side, back halved, 3 link front, 4 link rear. Once the cab and chassis are done ill take the 7.3 powerstroke / E4od/ 4407 from the current truck and swap them into this thing.

This got dropped off on Friday

Gutted it. Pulled the bed, fuel tanks, front clip and not shown but I pulled the front beams, and a/c heater box. I then pressure washed it inside and out.

More pics of the interior and cleaned/ gutted truck on Monday as I towed it down to the shop I work at.
I haven't ever seen these floor plates before. My truck has collapsed around where the seats are and the passenger side has a good lean going on.

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Im going to be using the "better" newer heater box assy.

strip the rear axle tubes down. Fuck grinding the stock spring perches off. I grabbed my biggest sledge hammer and they came right off after a few good hits.

Test fit the Artec truss

Weld the truss together.. And weld.. and weld...

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Overheated the welder oops.

Then more welding... This time to the axle housing

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
holy shit ive never overheated my 211. are you only running off 110v ? i turned mine up that high once and it burnt through 1/4 inch plate :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sub'd

You keeping the bricknose clip or gonna do a powerstroke one?
I thought about it but unfortunately the front clip that was on it wasn't diesel. The core supports are different. I kinda like the brick nose too. But since this will be my '97 ill get a proper front clip.

holy shit ive never overheated my 211. are you only running off 110v ? i turned mine up that high once and it burnt through 1/4 inch plate :eek:
I was using 220v and I over temped/ over cycle duty it two times that night.

Once while I was welding the truss together. I had like 6" left and then once when welding the truss to the axle an I had like 4" left.

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking forward to this build. What wheelbase are you shooting for?
Right around 125". It'll prob end up close to 130" by the time I'm done though. Current truck is 133" and after looking at it a lot it'll be hard to go that much shorter and keep clearance for 42"s.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
a word of caution on the overtemp function....

dont. '

i have a 180 autoset and have had it for a few years - last year i started randomly having issues with the avalible amps at a givin time and overtemp. after a few trips to the repair shop that fixed nothing i called miller and had a nice chat with a tech. i was told every time you hit the overtemp function it kills a percentage of the duty cycle. so i use it a lot and after almost 4 years mine would over temp easly and if i didnt quite reach the overtemp it would weld like shit.

i fixed it at home and its like a new unit. i asked about upgrading to the parts from the 211 to add some amps, and wouldnt ya know its the same part

other than that. i like where the build is going so far.

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can tell when its getting hot. It doesn't burn as hot. Ill usually stop and give it a break but i was on a roll lol..

I mocked up the suspension tonight and ran the numbers. Im a 4 link noob so please be nice.

Upper links are 51" lowers 48"
I can't get it under 117% antisquat. I have adjustable uppers and thats the highest point.
130 middle and 143 lowest
roll center is at 29 and frame height is at 28.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
i have a solution.....

are you ready? :flipoff2:

you need to keep your vertical separation the same at the frame end as it is at the axle end. (all vehicles with a factory parallel bar 4 link from the factory have symmetrical vertical separation numbers.)
mine is also set up this way and it works really well (about 200 miles on it so far)

edit: i missed the noob part. so the angle of your links will also contribute to your high AS %, the steeper the link angle the higher teh percentage (generallyy)

oh, and my wheelbase is 123.5 :flipoff2::flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have a solution.....

are you ready? :flipoff2:

you need to keep your vertical separation the same at the frame end as it is at the axle end.

oh, and my wheelbase is 123.5 :flipoff2::flipoff2:

Yeah but I want to go fast too.

Ah i just got a idea to get a little more link separation at the frame side. Ill look at it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so I changed the frame side and got some more link separation to try to get the antisquat down a little.

Now I get 84.67 on the top holes 97.68 on the center and 110 on the lower position.

Oh and rough guesstimate of wheelbase is like 125"

Tomorrow ill get some material for sliders

·
Premium Member
4,150 Posts
Some friendly welding advice from someone that has seen and played with more linear feet of weld than 99% of people on this site . . . don't run circles with MIG, don't overlap the molten weld puddle, you will have lack of fusion issues (thinner materials you can "melt" together from the heat and get away with it, but not so on material like what you are working with), if MIG welds look like a TIG weld it usually means that they were done wrong, two completely different processes, two completely different techniques, and two completely different looking welds.

Like the poject otherwise.

1 - 20 of 537 Posts