Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
1984 Toyota Pickup 4x4, doubler, 5.29 gears, spool in rear, locker up front, 39.5 iroks, Full Hydro
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought '84 Toyota with new hydraulic ram and new springs. Previous owner did the work, and I believe it use to have ruf that probably didn't hit.
Here's a pic, not articulated.

What's my options. I am thinking of pulling a couple of leafs.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Tire Tread

Also, both sides hit inside when turned. You can see the marks on the tie rod.

· Registered
1984 Toyota Pickup 4x4, doubler, 5.29 gears, spool in rear, locker up front, 39.5 iroks, Full Hydro
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Links! Cool. I am looking into that. You mean get rid of the leafs or raise the tie rod with a link?

Here are a couple more pics
Automotive tire Tire Automotive wheel system Wood Auto part

What about a spacer below the joint for the pic below? I think a half inch may get it done.
Automotive tire Wood Gas Metal Auto part

· Registered
220 Posts
is that full hydro?

pulling a leaf out will affect how the truck handles.

those are stock knuckles? six shooter arms increase the height of the arm to just above the top level of the spring pack, it looks like you have stock knuckles, is the end of the arm higher than the top spring.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is Full Hydro. I will take some more pics tomorrow in the daylight in regards to the arm height and knuckles. I was told they are fj knuckles. I would like to know. More pics tomorrow.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some pics with tire turned in almost fully

Tire still turned in

Below pics with tire straight

Attachments

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The tie rods paint is scrubbed by the spring when articulated. I believe that is why the paint is off.

It also makes bad noises when articulating over obstacles.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
is that full hydro?

pulling a leaf out will affect how the truck handles.

those are stock knuckles? six shooter arms increase the height of the arm to just above the top level of the spring pack, it looks like you have stock knuckles, is the end of the arm higher than the top spring.
Six shooter knuckles may be an answer. Are they higher than what I got? It looks like I have a high steer arm on it. Doesn't it? From the online shopping I have done, I don't see much more height gained from just buying an arm.

Spacer below the arm would likely work as kind as I drive. But I do want it paved road worthy too.

· Registered
479 Posts
The tie rods paint is scrubbed by the spring when articulated. I believe that is why the paint is off.

It also makes bad noises when articulating over obstacles.
And the ram is bolted to the axle which is bolted to the springs a few inches behind where the tie rod hangs out. I can't see how that spring could twist enough to contact the rod without breaking.

As for the noises, some leaf springs just make a lot of noise. Your bushings could be squeaky as well.

The paint could have been knocked off during install, or from rubbing on rocks or branches depending on how creatively it was driven before you bought it.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And the ram is bolted to the axle which is bolted to the springs a few inches behind where the tie rod hangs out. I can't see how that spring could twist enough to contact the rod without breaking.

As for the noises, some leaf springs just make a lot of noise. Your bushings could be squeaky as well.

The paint could have been knocked off during install, or from rubbing on rocks or branches depending on how creatively it was driven before you bought it.
Hmmmm, I hope you are right. That would be sweet.

The seller did say the springs were seating in. I never heard of that. And he said he took it to trails three times on the new springs and hydro. He said he hadn't found a trail this rig didn't make light work of...

And the scrubbed paint is on both sides, on the same place on each tie rod. Hmmmm

1 - 20 of 42 Posts