Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to know where I can go ride or where people recommend for a place somewhat close or in Minnesota. I am a newbie so I really don't know much about rules or regulations also so any info is greatly appreciated. I will be posting this in the newbie section also for those that will suggest it, but I just wanted to get as much as I could on the topic. Thanks:beer: :beer:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is what one of the guys in my neighborhood said I should do also, but what I kind of want to do is just get some of my friends together, and just go out whenever we have the time in stead of following a club. Is that illegal or do we need special permits or anything like that?

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
91Yota22RE said:
that is what one of the guys in my neighborhood said I should do also, but what I kind of want to do is just get some of my friends together, and just go out whenever we have the time in stead of following a club. Is that illegal or do we need special permits or anything like that?
Anyone can use Gilbert if you buy a MN ORV permit, there are also some other puiblic areas in the state - some easy to find, others are not. Make sure to contact the DNR in the area you are going into to make sure that it is an allowed area. A lot of the places that local clubs go are on private land, and the only way you can get onto it is to be a club member. There are also a few events open to MN4wda member clubs which are not avaliable to the general public.

·
Registered
982 Posts
If you are down for a nice afternoon of some easy wheeling, there's an old farmer down in northfield whose got a bunch of wheeling land. $10 and your in. there's some gravel pits, some sand pits, hill climbs, mud n stuff. On weekends you just drive down there and you gotta talk to the old guy "Roy". He just sits in his pickup with his dog at the entrance. I think the guy just does it so he gets to talk to people, and man does he talk.

I'm right over in North Mpls. I'll make sure to hit you up next time I go down.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
7footyeti-- Hell yeah this is what I was talking about. I am in the plymouth area so it is not like we live that far away either. I am new to all this though, but this is how I want to get started. Thanks a lot--- if you could shoot up directions to this guy that would be awesome. PM me if you wish to keep it more low key.

Anyone else know of a place like this that is free or around the same price?

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
how well set up do u have to be to go and play at gilbert? Also were is it at compared to the sites? Im 2 hours straight south of the cities in the waste land known as Northern Iowa

·
Registered
10,490 Posts

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
LAME said:

Fawk! Got enough people in you club:eek::D :flipoff2:
Just 35 last time I looked :D When you are a family oriented club, you need a lot of members to get a decent turnout on any given weekend.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
mjs408 said:
how well set up do u have to be to go and play at gilbert? Also were is it at compared to the sites? Im 2 hours straight south of the cities in the waste land known as Northern Iowa
Gilbert has trails for most abilities. There are some trails that are marked for a minimum 33" tire, lockers and a winch. There are a few rock areas that you can't get through without 35's on a CJ sized vehicle. If you are relatively carefull you can escape without any body damage, we've had 2 rollovers there, one a nasty 3.25 revolution, the other a gentle flop. Some of the local clubs will be clearing new trails this summer.

Northfield is an old gravel/sand pit. It's a cheap place to screw around, but not much of a challenge unless you are in a near stock vehicle. Would be a cool place to go with an ATV though.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have talked with a few guys that have some farm land that they trailride on just outside of Mason....guess you just have to keep your eyes open :beer: :beer:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts