Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Trail" report- first shake down trip with the Challenge Rover - mild carnage

A local club had their annual weekend meet.
The site is fairly large and has rather difficult trails.

We arrived saturday morning only to immediately realise that the springs I installed in the rear were not stiff enough for all my recovery gear as well as three full size persons in the rear seat. No extra springs were brought, but a courier arrived in the afternoon with two sets...

Had a close encounter with a small tree, which got stuck in the "hook" of the rear bumper. Damaged the exhaust as well as bumper to get off it. Can be seen nicely in the movie link.
Some fellas had power generator, grinder and welder so borrowed their grinder to remove offending parts of bumper and exhaust.

Lost a rear spring after install due to sloppy install of spring retainers. Spring damaged rear shock on it's way out, but the shock seems to function OK anyway.

A rear lower link managed to work itself almost clear of the axle end bushing, due to my mistake of not installing the big washer, only a small one. With a ratchet strap we held it together to camp and a courier delivered stainless washer to dinner time.

This morning lost axle end panhard bracket. Those guys with electrical tools came in handy with their stick welder. Will rebuild bracket with more gusseting.

All in all a very successful weekend. I managed everything I dared try, except one climb starting with about a metre vertical rock, where I didn't want to attack as aggresively as would have been necessary until i have gone over all bracket welds again, wise from the episode with the panhard bracket.

A movie (approx 35Mb) at
http://www.eller.nu/movies/Botkyrka_mk_070825.mov

Pics at
http://www.eller.nu/208.html
and
http://www.pbase.com/tobiasbjorklind/challengerover

Tobias

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you look closely in the pic, just to the left of the pumpkin, tou see an axle sand supporting the frame rail, just where the rear axle kick up ends. I made the same reflection, but a pic from the front shows the axle stand clearly.
Anyway, the wheel was inplace and the clearance is so good, I might have been bumped on the head/shoulde if the hilift let go, but no more. The hilift itself is a larger hazard in this case, I believe.

Thank's for caring.

DC, I don't know "big blue", but I believe they are old Bearmach medium or heavy duty springs. they were on this truck when I bought it back in '91. I rapidly evolved the suspension beyond using these springs, but now they seem to work quite well. Some bump stops and I'm good to go.

T

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
DC, I don't know "big blue", but I believe they are old Bearmach medium or heavy duty springs. they were on this truck when I bought it back in '91. I rapidly evolved the suspension beyond using these springs, but now they seem to work quite well. Some bump stops and I'm good to go.

T
Tobias:
Bearmach springs are marketed in the US as "Big Blue".

·
Registered
986 Posts
I think Tobias is married to said courier. Which is indeed a civilized arrangement.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The courier in question was for springs the parents and little brother of one of my co-drivers for the weekend and for the washer it was the Swedish offroad guru who among other things invented tireloc, later copied and currently sold as Staun second air. Also the same guy i bought the portal axles and TSL/SX from :p

T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.