Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I have not ever towed anything but a tonge trailer before. I have just about decided to buy a Duramax later this month and If I do go with the diesal truck I will be getting a Gooseneck trailer Long enough to haul 2 vehicles.

What do I need to be looking for when shopping. Thanks you for any advise you can give.

JOSH

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
wow.. those are a couple kick ass trailers... the car haulers aren't too spendy either! I may have to look into that if it gets expensive to fix the trailer Ive got.
Scott

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Josh, you don't need a gooseneck trailer to haul two vehicles, although it will tow better, it's not usually the ideal set up. If you get a 1 ton, you have more than enough truck to "bumper pull". The benefits of a bumper pull trailer are: bed space, you can tow with anybody's truck, trailer uses less space to store, usually $800-$1000 cheaper including hitch, and the trailer doesn't have to be as long to haul the same two vehicles (you can't over-hang a vehicle over the front with a gooseneck). I tow a 35' enclosed bumper pull all over the country and if you load the trailer correctly and don't drive like an idiot, you'll be just fine. Also, get a triple axle trailer no matter which hitch style, trust me.

Hey Scott, what are you building?

Chris

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
EMIEVEL said:
Josh, you don't need a gooseneck trailer to haul two vehicles, although it will tow better, it's not usually the ideal set up. If you get a 1 ton, you have more than enough truck to "bumper pull". The benefits of a bumper pull trailer are: bed space, you can tow with anybody's truck, trailer uses less space to store, usually $800-$1000 cheaper including hitch, and the trailer doesn't have to be as long to haul the same two vehicles (you can't over-hang a vehicle over the front with a gooseneck). I tow a 35' enclosed bumper pull all over the country and if you load the trailer correctly and don't drive like an idiot, you'll be just fine. Also, get a triple axle trailer no matter which hitch style, trust me.

Hey Scott, what are you building?

Chris
Chris,
You may have seen it before, Its a big tex trailer.. been sitting for a few years. Right now, Im chasing down a few wiring bugs, then its on to replacing the wood floor, then the brakes, and it should be good to go...
Its a 20 footer..7k axles..

·
Registered
560 Posts
EMIEVEL said:
Also, get a triple axle trailer no matter which hitch style, trust me.
Chris
Hi Jack

Chris,

I have thought of adding a 3rd axle to my trailer, but most people say it would be a bad move. You seem to like tri axles I'd like to hear why and your thoughts on adding an axle.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I wouldnt want to bumper tow a trailer that heavy and long on a little 1 ton, I'd stick with the gooseneck. I used to bumper tow an excavator behind my F350, about 9500# total, that was fine, but you're probably adding another 3-5000# depending on the weight of your rigs, thats a lot of leverage on your hitch. Besides, most factory reciever hitches are only rated to 10000#.

·
Registered
14,025 Posts
ScoutIITD said:
Hi Jack

Chris,

I have thought of adding a 3rd axle to my trailer, but most people say it would be a bad move. You seem to like tri axles I'd like to hear why and your thoughts on adding an axle.
I had tripples under my boat trailer and did not like it. The forces put on the axles when trying to back it in would nessitate bearing maintenence constantly. It would also scrub the tires since they were literaly drug sideways. It ws a heavy load ( 11k loaded) but I would have rather had heavier double axles.

We had similar problems with our spread axle and tripple axle drop decks. We had to make sure the drivers did not scrub the tires off the wheels. We finally had the trailers rigged with remote controlls for the rear axle air bags so they could be deflated from the cab to lessen the force on the rear axle.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
ScoutIITD said:
Hi Jack

Chris,

He probably owns stock in a tire mfg. company. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Okay, I'll make this easy. I have two 35' enclosed trailers. One has three axles, the other two. They are both rated for 10,500lbs. The triple axle gets real close to 100k miles on a set of tires, the double axle gets around 50k. If I have problems with bearings or tires, the triple axle can still go down the road with two wheels on one side, while the double axle trailer cannot continue on with one wheel (when loaded). Having three axles is easier on the trailer frame and hitch. The three axle trailer is more stable than the two axle.
CJheep, as far as u-turns go, both trailers scrub tires, and I'm not sure which is worse. The three axle is spread out more so there is less weight on each axle, and it kind of pivots off the center axle. The two axle is just the opposite, and it seems to me that is what wears those tires out faster.
I have more bearing failure on the two axle trailer, eventhough they are rated for more weight than my three axle trailer. If you think making turns is causing bearing failure, maybe you should get heavier duty axles, or learn how to back up a trailer better! Oh yeah, any boat trailer will need bearing maintenance on a much more regular basis, especially one that goes in salt water. Also, what are you comparing your three axle too?

Chris

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
bumper towing a 30ft 2 axle, if loaded just right tows like a dream! smoother than a 16ft. 2 comp rigs w/water in tires and a quad on the trailer.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
EMIEVEL said:
Hey DSI, Dave told me it started to get windy at SLC...but it died down soon after!!

Chris

the wind's sucked... but the 2 ticket's getting there sucked worse...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts