Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Pavement Challenged
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a charger for the trailer battery (5A sealed Lead Acid) that I can run off the +12v feed from the truck.

I see Dexter sells one as part of their kit, but can't find it separately.

Any suggestions?

·
Pavement Challenged
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
^^ that's how mine work. And it works, it's eazy to test pull the break a way and listen for the magnets to energize or try to pull the trailer. Also something to think about is the length of the safety chains and break a way. Mine pull the break a way before the chains tighten up so if the chains hold up the tongue won't dig into the ground and the trailer reared you when you try to stop.

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
You need a charger for them?
All of my trailers just have the 12V power supply connected to them, Ive never had to use one, but they all seem to be ok
x2 mine even has a light on the BA unit battery that shows its charging, its hooked up to the auxiliary 12v supply on the trailer plug

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
You need a charger for them?
Thats what I was thinking. It just equalizes to battery voltage on your tow vehicle, doesn’t it? My car trailer has a full-size battery for the winch that runs the breakaway. It just charges with a 12v key on power wire. Do the smaller breakaway batteries actually require something specific? :confused:

·
Registered
34,274 Posts
Mine charges from the vehicle. I also have a small solar charger keeping the second 12 volt supplied while the vehicle isn't connected...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts