Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you using and how do you like it?
Any you would recommend or avoid? Reason.

Getting one for my '14 Silverado 1500 to pull a decent sized travel trailer.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Tekonsha P3 90195. Buddy of mine had one is his truck, liked it so I got one. Plug and play on most newer vehicles. Works good for me.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I've used Voyager, P2 and have a P3 ready for install. All good brake controllers.

You can get a factory controller in your 14.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Tekonsha P3 90195. Buddy of mine had one is his truck, liked it so I got one. Plug and play on most newer vehicles. Works good for me.
Ditto. I have used it in a few different 1500 and 2500 Chevy/GMC setups and currently have is set up to switch between my '88 V30 and '02 2500 Burb.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've used Voyager, P2 and have a P3 ready for install. All good brake controllers.

You can get a factory controller in your 14.
Original plan was to add factory, but everything I am seeing is it can't be done. Various reasons are given as to why. At least not as simple s buy an OE switch and panel, plug and play.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is my understanding that the module was put in these trucks, even if the truck wasn't equipped with integrated trailer brakes. It seems they lack the wires to go to the OE controller and possibly some others that do not allow simple plug and play of the factory set up. I am still looking into what it will take to do and if any modules need to be reprogrammed.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Another vote for Tekonsha prodigy, I have P2's in both my tow rigs and they were an easy install and work great.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Very happy with my P2. Tekonsha's customer service is 2nd to none, the adjustment wheel pin broke and I no longer had gain adjustment. Called tech support for a new wheel and they had me send in my bad one and a few days later had a brand new one sitting on my front porch.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
REDARC

Redarc do some amazing products, new to the US market but very well known in Australia (made there to suit their conditions).

·
Dinkerdoodledoo
9,259 Posts
Original plan was to add factory, but everything I am seeing is it can't be done. Various reasons are given as to why. At least not as simple s buy an OE switch and panel, plug and play.
You can do it. I have.

Depends on what options you have. You need a DIC, the switch, wiring harness etc.

You will need the dealer to load your BCM, which means they get a update from GM.

Just need to find a dealer willing to do it and knows how.

It really is the best there is for your truck. It controls down shifts for engine breaking, hill assist breaking if you have it, a whole lot more.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I have a P2 in one tow rig and a Hopkins agility in my back up tow rig, both great controllers. I would say if you buy any name brand controller in proportional flavor you will be happy. Leave the time based ones for the dumpster, its all they're good for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tekonsha P3. Easily swap between my Tacoma and GX. It is so intuitive changing settings between trucks and my TT and various loads on my car hauler. I am not a smart man, but you don't have to be with that brake controller.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Another vote for Tekonsha prodigy, I have P2's in both my tow rigs and they were an easy install and work great.
Yep, found the prodigy and never looked back. Pull single axle to triple, plus tandem duel. Never a problem and easy to adjust for each trailer loaded or empty.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts