Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched and found this thread: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80383&highlight=trailer+brakes

I have the same trailer as Blair, a 16 foot wells cargo, and have the same problem with my brakes.

The brakes have worked fine for about 9 months. One day they didn't work. I drove the trailer to where I was going and when I got home that evening I checked my ground on the trailer (which was broken, but could have been that way for a while). The brakes are grounded directly to the plug so that should have had no affect on them. I also tightened up the screws inside the plug.

The next time I used the trailer, the brakes worked fine. I went wheeling for a few hours and the brakes were not working on the way home and have not worked since.

There is brakes on both axles, so I am guessing that it is an electrical problem. Surely, all 4 systems would not go bad at the same time. I checked the ground from one end to the other and it checks good. I get about 10.5 volts to the brakes, but all it does is make sort of a buzzing noise for a few seconds at the first brake on the front axle.

My tow rig is a 2000 PSD, with the trailer system wired from the factory.

Got any ideas on what else I could check?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
6 or 7 pin plug on the trailer? 7 pin, try bending the prongs in so that they make better contact with the plug. 6 pin going through an adapter? Spread the pins on the female part so that you get good contact that way. Check the plug for corrosion too. Poke at the two bottom wires on the back of your plug. They have a habit of corroding inside the insulation.

From there, follow the other thread.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FYRMAN said:
6 or 7 pin plug on the trailer? 7 pin, try bending the prongs in so that they make better contact with the plug. 6 pin going through an adapter? Spread the pins on the female part so that you get good contact that way. Check the plug for corrosion too. Poke at the two bottom wires on the back of your plug. They have a habit of corroding inside the insulation.

From there, follow the other thread.
7 pin on the trailer going to factory Ford 7 pin. I put it on new 9 months ago and used non corrode grease inside, which looks brand new.

I'll try the things you suggested. I've wiggled the plugs & plugged and unplugged them several times trying to make sure I have a good connection.

I already followed the other thread before I posted, that's what I don't understand, everything seems normal. I have good ground, and good juice to the brakes, but they just don't work. I would feel like the magnets are bad, but like I said above, it worked fine out to the trail and when I loaded it up at the end of the day it didn't work. The trailer just sat there, no rain or bad weather, just worked and then didn't. Weird.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FYRMAN said:
Are you sure the brakes are adjusted right?
It's rained here all day and is supposed to rain for the next three days.:(

As soon as I can take a look at it, I'll get some answers and bring it back to the top. Thanks for your help so far.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
first thing i check on the fords is the fuses under the hood. if any are popped it will lead you in the right direction.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
larryboy said:
first thing i check on the fords is the fuses under the hood. if any are popped it will lead you in the right direction.
If he has popped the 30 amp Maxi fuse that feeds the controller, he definitly has problems.

Try this... Make sure the breakaway batteryt is charged. Hook the trailer up to the truck. DO NOT PLUG THE ELECTRICAL CORD IN! Pull the breakaway cable, and try to pull forward. If the brakes are locked, it's the truck.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
larryboy said:
I pulled over on the road and checked them first thing, both are good.

FYRMAN said:

If he has popped the 30 amp Maxi fuse that feeds the controller, he definitly has problems.

Try this... Make sure the breakaway batteryt is charged. Hook the trailer up to the truck. DO NOT PLUG THE ELECTRICAL CORD IN! Pull the breakaway cable, and try to pull forward. If the brakes are locked, it's the truck.
Thanks, I'll try that too, as soon as this monsoon is over with.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the monsoon is over (8" of rain in 3 days, at least it isn't snow).

I took the wheels off and looked at things and the brake shoes were shot. It threw me off when they worked fine and then didn't work at all.

I appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
good to hear you found the problem,for me the cost of a backing plate assembly with shoes installed is faster to install and barely more $ than shoes alone. might check into it.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
We pay $55-$65 at Six States for a loaded backing plate. All new hardware. It's just 4 or 5 nuts and two wires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts