Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried installing my brake controller tonight, I found the wires at the rear of the truck for my seven prong plug. But I can not find the plug under the dash to plug the controller into.

This is on a 99 Chevy Tahoe, with the trailer package.

Anybody know where it is or if there is one pre wired? Do I have to direct wire it?

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Did you read the "Got Brakes?" thread?

Hopefully this will help if your 99 was produced late enough....

FYRMAN said:
CHEVY

Chevy has got their act together so far. They tested their system in a few trim levels of the Silverado. Specifically in the the late 99 LS and in all of 99 in the LT. Since then, all vehicles will have the recepticle you need, however the trucks without the trailer tow option will only have two usable wires in the plug. The ground wire, and the stoplight wire. The power wire (black) and the brake wire (blue) will terminate right behind the brake booster. Those two wires will have to be run to their respective places. The black wire will need to be run to the battery, through a self-reseting circuit breaker. The blue wire will have to be run back to the plug. In other words, the wires for ground and the stoplight light wire have been found for you, and the rest will be a hardwire install.

This is the plug you will need to connect to the controller.

The receptical can be found in most late model GM trucks. It is placed in what GM calls the "Convenience Center". The old style center is just an open box that is attached to the firewall, about where your left foot is while driving, with a few wires coming out of it, and a few plugs showing.
In 99 (in the trucks listed above) they came out with the new style center. It is located about where your left foot would be while driving. It is an enlosed box that is held shut with a plastic speed nut, and a few clips. The clips are one on each side, and one on top.
Once the cover is removed, you will see rows of recepticals. The one you want to plug into is the second recepticle from the left, on the very top row.

GM also went to seperate circuits for trailer lighting. These fuses are found in the Electrical Center on the driver's side fender liner, under the hood. This box is marked on the underside, so those fuses are hard to miss.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found that thread Eric it tells me where to find it in my Silverado If I had one. :flipoff2:

Thanks FYRMAN I will check that thread out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts