Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been reading a lot of threads in this forum and I've got a few ideas. Would like some feedback and any other ideas you guys have.

My current setup:

I've broken about 37 harbor freight trailer lights, so out came the credit card after reading about this seller on here:
6" Oval RED LED Trailer Truck Steel Tail Light Guard Box KIT w/marker lights USA | eBay

The driver side fender is cracked in a few places from climbing into the Jeep too many times, so I welded some angle iron in from the frame to the fender. It works for now but needs fixed for good. I'd like to build some drive over fenders and was thinking of using some 1" box tube for the frame and some diamond plate for the skin. Should I remove the existing fenders? Or just build over them?

I have a tool box on the tongue, but it is a bit wonky. It is mounted too far forward and eats up any space for a load leveler. I'd like to keep the box just because I'm too cheap to buy another. I think I might just weld in some 3/16 plate to mount it closer to the headache bar and be done with it. Thoughts?

I don't think I'll add a winch to the trailer, I figure if I need it for my Jeep I'll just use the winch on it (yes it's not installed in the picture above). If I need to tow another disabled vehicle without a winch, I was thinking I could just weld a D ring shackle mount on the front and use a come-a-long. Anyone think this is a terrible idea? I'm ok with dumb, but not terrible ideas.

I've always wanted a vise on my trailer, and have seen some removable ones mounted to hitch receivers. Anyone have feedback on these? Or another way of mounting a vise?

Spare tire... not only for the trailer, but also for the Jeep. I never take my spare with me on the trail and usually chain it to the trailer. If it's needed someone else can come back to camp and get it. I've thought about making some sort of lockable spare tire mount between the headache bar and the Jeep. Anyone ever make a spare tire mount for their 40" ?

Last but not least.... more storage. We usually bring fire wood from home and the garbage can on the front doesn't always cut it. I've lost plenty of logs on the "road" into camp before. Anyone have a way to store fire wood on their trailer?

That's a lot of questions.... Hopefully I only get flamed for a few of them. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
908 Posts
...The driver side fender is cracked in a few places from climbing into the Jeep too many times, so I welded some angle iron in from the frame to the fender. It works for now but needs fixed for good. I'd like to build some drive over fenders and was thinking of using some 1" box tube for the frame and some diamond plate for the skin. Should I remove the existing fenders? Or just build over them?
I would definitely not build over the existing fenders. That sounds like a major hassle and place for crap to collect and cause problems. 1" tube sounds big, probably take up excessive space inside your fender. If by diamond plate you mean aluminum, that also sounds like a bad idea. Steel is infinitely easier to attach and tougher for vibrating applications. Just look at ordinary car ramps for an idea of how much material it takes to support that kind of weight and then consider that your Jeep will only go across the fender, not be parked on the fender.

...I've always wanted a vice on my trailer, and have seen some removable ones mounted to hitch receivers. Anyone have feedback on these? Or another way of mounting a vice?...
Vise, not vice. Got an old 5" stuck on a hitch stinger. Added a 2" receiver to workbench in the shop. Highly recommend.

...Last but not least.... more storage. We usually bring fire wood from home and the garbage can on the front doesn't always cut it. I've lost plenty of logs on the "road" into camp before. Anyone have a way to store fire wood on their trailer?
Hitch basket stuck in the Jeep's receiver is what I'd use for firewood. Seems I always find a use for one with a Jeep.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Been reading a lot of threads in this forum and I've got a few ideas. Would like some feedback and and other ideas you guys have.

Spare tire... not only for the trailer, but also for the Jeep. I never take my spare with me on the trail and usually chain it to the trailer. If it's needed someone else can come back to camp and get it. I've thought about making some sort of lockable spare tire mount between the headache bar and the Jeep. Anyone ever make a spare tire mount for their 40" ?

That's a lot of questions.... Hopefully I only get flamed for a few of them. Thanks for any input.
Do you have room to lay down the Jeep spare and then the trailer spare on the deck in front of the jeep? I mounted a d-ring to the deck, bent up a 'J' bolt out of all thread that hooked through the d-ring and then used a flat plate and a wing nut to hold the tires down. Use a large enough piece of all thread that you can drill it above the wingnut to put in a small lock to keep it from walking off.

·
Registered
349 Posts
You could always do what circle​ track guys do and build a rack to mount the tire in front of your Jeep, it would potentially give you another place to stick your toolbox and firewood, as you would only need to store 2 tires

Sent from my 5017B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
. If I need to tow another disabled vehicle without a winch, I was thinking I could just weld a D ring shackle mount on the front and use a come-a-long. Anyone think this is a terrible idea? I'm ok with dumb, but not terrible ideas.
If it's rare that you need it, a come along with snatch block (most come with one) will work. I had to use one to pull my broken 6000lb Burb on a trailer and it wasn't fun, but got the job done. I do recommend a quality come along, as the one I borrowed was crap (it had issues latching and holding consistently).

And for firewood, you could screw down some verticals boards to the trailer deck to act as walls to contain it. Then it could be removed when not needed.

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
Vise, not vice. Got an old 5" stuck on a hitch stinger. Added a 2" receiver to workbench in the shop. Highly recommend.
Hey, don’t judge. Maybe he wants a stripper pole on his trailer to indulge in his favorite vice… :flipoff2:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I would definitely not build over the existing fenders. That sounds like a major hassle and place for crap to collect and cause problems. 1" tube sounds big, probably take up excessive space inside your fender. If by diamond plate you mean aluminum, that also sounds like a bad idea. Steel is infinitely easier to attach and tougher for vibrating applications. Just look at ordinary car ramps for an idea of how much material it takes to support that kind of weight and then consider that your Jeep will only go across the fender, not be parked on the fender.
I was thinking diamond plate for traction, but did some more reading last night and I think something like skateboard grip tape or even a truck bed liner would be better.

:homer: That's what I get for trying to ask a question after midnight.

That's what I was thinking as well. Maybe mount it on the front of the trailer next to the A frame, or anywhere along the side I suppose.

Hitch basket stuck in the Jeep's receiver is what I'd use for firewood. Seems I always find a use for one with a Jeep.
Good call. Cheap and easy.

Do you have room to lay down the Jeep spare and then the trailer spare on the deck in front of the jeep? I mounted a d-ring to the deck, bent up a 'J' bolt out of all thread that hooked through the d-ring and then used a flat plate and a wing nut to hold the tires down. Use a large enough piece of all thread that you can drill it above the wingnut to put in a small lock to keep it from walking off.
Got a picture? I'm a visual learner. Sounds like a good idea.

You could always do what circle​ track guys do and build a rack to mount the tire in front of your Jeep, it would potentially give you another place to stick your toolbox and firewood, as you would only need to store 2 tires

Sent from my 5017B using Tapatalk
I was thinking of mounting the trailer spare along the side just as pictured here. Unless you mean the Jeep spare, in which case I'm very lost.

If it's rare that you need it, a come along with snatch block (most come with one) will work. I had to use one to pull my broken 6000lb Burb on a trailer and it wasn't fun, but got the job done. I do recommend a quality come along, as the one I borrowed was crap (it had issues latching and holding consistently).

And for firewood, you could screw down some verticals boards to the trailer deck to act as walls to contain it. Then it could be removed when not needed.
Good idea. The CJ never gets pulled all the way forward on the trailer so I could build something permanent-ish up front. Could act as a wheel chock and a firewood container.

Hey, don’t judge. Maybe he wants a stripper pole on his trailer to indulge in his favorite vice… :flipoff2:
Not too far off, my buddy had a folding "flag pole" mount on his trailer.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
I've broken about 37 harbor freight trailer lights
Some sealed LED flush mount lights and you'll be a happy camper.

I'd like to build some drive over fenders and was thinking of using some 1" box tube for the frame and some diamond plate for the skin.
Why bother with the drive over? The fenders are wider than the deck is. Not like it would do any good to drive over them! On my fenders I simply built a upright support in the middle so that when you step on the fender it doesn't take as much weight.

I think I might just weld in some 3/16 plate to mount it closer to the headache bar and be done with it. Thoughts?
You could do that to move the box back, or use that space to make a rack for the fire wood you want to carry. (Or move the box back and build one in front of it for that use.)

I don't think I'll add a winch to the trailer
They're handy as all hell.. only takes one time of needing it to make it worthwhile.. Smittybilt makes some solid winches, 9k winches for $300.. you could go with a smaller winch for less if you wanted to save a buck.

I've always wanted a vise on my trailer, and have seen some removable ones mounted to hitch receivers. Anyone have feedback on these? Or another way of mounting a vise?
Try something like this:
Spare tire... not only for the trailer, but also for the Jeep.
You could do something like the previous comment and build a mount onto a stake pocket. Or find somewhere on the side to do it that's out of the way. There's never a good way to mount a spare tire lol.

And if you haven't already, check out this thread:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-rigs-trailers/826239-its-all-about-little-things-trailer-edition.html

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I have those light box units on my dump trailer, they are all twisted and mangled but the lights are still working! LOL Firewood has rolled into them and I have backed them into stuff, well worth the money IMO.
One thing I hate due to my bad back is the pull out ramps, they are heavy and low, I would like to make mine fold down. I have thought about adding a winch but don't haul cars that don't run and drive too often if ever.
I'm in the planning stages of building a deck over for tractors and such and maybe two rigs, that one will have a winch for sure.

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
I was thinking of mounting the trailer spare along the side just as pictured here. Unless you mean the Jeep spare, in which case I'm very lost.
Read and re-read the it's the little things thread for ideas.

BUT my next trailer build will use a complete axle spindle with bearings and brake parts for a spare tire carrier. That way when if I have a bearing seize or a brake issue, I have the parts.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I went under the deck for a pair of trailer spare tires.

stock Toyota Tundra/Tacoma hoists
Cross drilled the drive mechanism, 1/2" rod with hitch pin to hold it in place
Bushing in frame, welded a lug nut to the end of the rod.

Uses same tool to lower spare as the lugs on the running tires.

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
I see a lot of people doing this. I don't think it's a bad idea, but a little bit of routine maintenance goes a long ways. Lol.
Not to mention the bearings and seals on your spare is probably gonna be in shit shape from never being used and having lubrication moved around.

·
Registered
794 Posts
When I built my last 16 ft trailer, I made a spare mount with a spindle and bearings, even though I'm running 7000# axles and regularly service everything. I can tell you that after 20k miles and 4 years of sitting outside in the Northeast, the bearings are just fine. I built it on a piece of 2x2 box tubing so it drops into one of several receivers on my trailer deck. I ended up putting a couple different height holes in it so it can hold my trailer spare or my spare 43.

The second advantage is you can use it for trail recovery. We put the "training wheel" on my buddy Mark's jeep to get on the trailer when he wrecked a spindle one time. :laughing:

I made a portable winch mount to fit the same receivers on the trailer too.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I've broken about 37 harbor freight trailer lights, so out came the credit card after reading about this seller on here:
6" Oval RED LED Trailer Truck Steel Tail Light Guard Box KIT w/marker lights USA | eBay
I upgraded the lights on our skid steer trailer to those exact lights. Work great but since they stick out a bit they have a tendency to get snagged on stuff. We ripped one off and I replaced it and put a diagonal brace back to the trailer. Now they are bulletproof.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I upgraded the lights on our skid steer trailer to those exact lights. Work great but since they stick out a bit they have a tendency to get snagged on stuff. We ripped one off and I replaced it and put a diagonal brace back to the trailer. Now they are bulletproof.
Good to hear. They seem stout so far.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts