Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a free 16' pipe top bumper pull with agle frame without the wraparound tongue. Gonna cut out the old tongue and top rail and run 5" channel for the tongue and all the back under the angle frame and extend to 20'. Also gonna cut out the old fenders and make drive over fenders from 8-9" channel when I reposition the axles. Thinking about using the big channel for the deck extensions to give me around a 96" deck. Think this would be easier than using 4" and framing out the extra width. The 5" channel running full length should compensate for the lost strength when removing the pipe top rail. Also, the drive over fenders should help make the frame more ridged too. Gonna use mobile home axles that I already have and shorten to desired length. Gonna convert to 6 on 5.5 hube cause I already have wheels and tires for this. Do any of u see strength issues with this setup? I am building to haul my rig on and what everelse I may need a trailer for. From what I have seen to buy a new trailer like this, I would be looking at around $3000, that is why I want to use this. If I was starting from scratch I probably wouldn't do it, but since the trailer was free and I have the axles and wheels, all I will be out is decking, wireing and the steel to do the mods. Should be able to do this for around a $1000. Input appreciated.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Gonna use mobile home axles that I already have and shorten to desired length.
How wide are the mobile home axles now? If you're trailering the rig that is in your avatar, then I'd leave the axles as wide as is legal for your state for stability, and make the deck as wide as legal (wheels sticking up thru deck) to avoid the trail rig's tires hanging off the sides of the trailer.

(not that there's *necessarily* something wrong with tires hanging over the trailer in some cases, but if you have the chance to make a full-width deck now, then why not do it?)

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The axles have been shortened some years ago, but are pretty getto even by my standards. I have made some changes to my rig lately and still not finished with the rebuild, not nearly as wide and about 8-10" lower. It will fit fine on a 96" deck but I am considering a 102" deck which is standard on goosneck high deck trailers and I think it is the limit here in Louisiana. Haven't bought the steel yet so I am not set on the width. The only thing about making the axles too wide is that I would either have to build hangers out on the side of the frame to keep from having the spring perches to far away from the hub or leave the hangers under the frame making the axle weaker moving the load farther away from the hub.

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
bump
I know, useless thread without pics.

Just looking for a little more insight about the frame strength on this setup. I think that it would be ok, just curious for others input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts