Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for options as far as how people tow their rigs and where they stay. The wife is getting sick of tents so its either a camper or a hotel. I would much rather stay in a campground so what are my options. I have a '01 F250 PSD to tow my EB with. Has anyone ever put their rig with a small pop-up camper on a trailer and hauled both the bronco and the camper together? If I did this how long would the trailer have to be? Another option would be to get a truck bed camper but my F250 is a short box:( . Any other ideas??

·
Registered
14,282 Posts
Sell the F250 and get a PS F350 with a long box. Drop a bed-camper in and call it good to go. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
By a gooseneck trailer and mount a slide-in camper up at the gooseneck, park the EB behind it. Set the camper on some big tool boxes or possibly use a service bed to set the camper on (are they wide enough)

Now get one of those portable tarp garage building things and weld brackets for the poles/frame work to the back 1/2 fo the trailer, when it rains you can put up the tarp-building and have an instant covered porch/garage on your camper.

Or just buy an enclosed Sprint Car type race trailer with living quarters

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
Depending on the size of your family, there are a bunch of truck-bed camper options - pop-ups and slide-ins (yes, for short-beds) are two. One of our club members has a bed mounted tent which works out well for them. Or get a goose-neck toy hauler with a bedroom and bath up front.

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
They make campers for SWB, check out fleetwood campers or Jayco for a popup camper. The fleetwoods and I'm sure others have bathrooms, heaters, etc and are 8' with a 18" overhang. Watch your GVW with both a camper and trailer, I went a little big on my camper and now have a dually :D .

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
camper 4-sale

This is my rig, could be yours... pm me if you want more info- will tow great behind your SD.

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Pick-up Camper

Lance is the best brand of pick-up camper made. They are quite spendy, by worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
CLC- box is full

Call me to discuss camper- 479 636 4669
Ken

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
i also have a camper for sale. its a 99 hallmark 81/2 ft had it on a short bed at one time also. i drag it around with an oo psd a 16 ft car hauler for the tj . has elec jacks and is a breeze to get on and off.
key word= cheap
gonna buy another
great shape

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've got a practically new gooseneck enclosed trailer. The front half has full living quarters w/shower, frige, microwave etc.etc.
it's 36' long Haulmark edge with all the options in the rear too(work bench and cabinets) 6" extra height for the taller rigs. Used 1 time Paid 17,500 take 16,500

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
how is the 36 split up between liveing and a place for the rig. how tall is the door opening?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
There was a little talk of this on the Tow Rigs and Trailers forum.

·
Vendor
1,009 Posts
I have some friends that ran the cabover camper on a gooseneck arrangement with good results but with a big wheeling rig and a big camper they were ending up too heavy to reliably tow with a regular pickup so they stepped up to used tractors. Basically they ran out of brakes and reliable power to tow the really big passes in central colo.
Now they have $15K or so in freightliners that will tow anything they put behind them and one guy has a 60" sleeper so he doesn't even take a camper unless his wife comes along. It's a little specialized but if you're towing all the time with a lot of weight, it's something to look at.

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
Come awn guys with the goosneck bs. He just wants to be more cummfy, not become a full on rock crawling competitior. I am looking into doing the very same thing as I type. You got long box or short box? Weight will be the biggest issue(someone has already mentioned getting another truck with a larger GVWR and GCWR. Easier said than done. I have a 97 f350/cc/psd/4x4/srw, and it cant haul anything but the lightest campers. Northernlite and bigfoot make some reasonably light campers in the 8-9' range that would probably work for you. I dont know about the pop up idea.......I would rather have a hard side camper, just my .02c. If you like your pickup and dont want to get rid of it, then look for a light camper, throw on some air lift bags, maybe some 9000's and a rear sway bar if you dont already have one. 16' carhauler that is planked weighs in around 1600 to 1800 pounds. With a bronco on it, (what do they weigh, 5000?), I would guess you could have it around 7k pounds total. Add that to a p/u (not sure exactly what you have) that probaby weighs 6500 + a 2500lb camper loaded and full, you should be ok. GCWR on mine is 20,000, and I'll bet yours is right up there to. Just be sure you are running load range E tires as the minimum, and you dont have crappy a/m wheels.
Now, I am going to convert my 4x4 f350 to a dually(and guys, dont give me a bunch of crap that it is not a true dually, and the rating sticker on the door will not go up). I am pretty sure my sterling will hold up ok. I just want the extra stability and the extra tires in case of a rear blow out. I have an 11.5' Lance, with all the options going on mine and I will tow the smurf monster to wherever I want to go. Look out Hammers, here I come!;)

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Well intentioned comments...

Keith- you made some good points- here's more. I tried the 5er jeep trailer choo- choo- got the job done, under 20k gross but a mess to drive and no reversing to speak of.

I bought a 1600 lb 8 ft cabover camper, these things are not cheap- 6k for a clean 5 yr old model- new ones pushing 15-20k+ (That is one crazy market ). This camper was a warm dry place to sleep and that is it. They are way too small if you want mama to be happy- especially if there is more than two of you. With my srw Dodge/cummins I was way under the 20k gross but driving was compromised as far as pitching goes- I like to go the speed limit+. if you use a bigger camper you are pushing 5k with the camper and small trailer, 3k up high. I did have the 7500 lb springs and camper overloads/sway bar, no 9000's or airbag. My wife would not drive this rig. Crosswinds are a bich.

I then fabbed what i posted above. I've scaled out at 18-20k with people, gear and full tanks lots of spares etc- with a 4100 lb rig and my kids quad. I drive 8-10 over with one finger on the wheel, stops awesome, exhaust brake for the mountains, tons of room (mama likes that;) ). Nothing tows as well as gooseneck type trailer, much better in crosswinds too.

It's all about compromise and what works for you- This setup is a pleasure to drive and has lots of room/storage- reasonable weight. The goosenecks with campers on them typically weigh 3-4k more in the end. Whether its my camper (asking 11k, or shupee's toy box) these are very viable options to the pricey pickup campers.

so why am I selling mine? Tina plans to stay home more and just hit a few events where i can hotel it. I can do motel 6 or sleep in the bed of the truck with a camper shell. I too prefer staying at the campgrounds and all the fun that goes with it. Good luck in whatever you do- it's always a good idea to keep mama happy.:D

This really should be in the towing forum.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Go2Guy, what are you towing the gooseneck with?

I have been thinking about the gooseneck/camper/rig setup for a while now. For a tow vehicle I am considering F350 SD, 7.3 PSD, 6spd, CC w/SB. CC, SB & SRW all because it'll be my DD also. Most of the towing will be in AZ, CA, CO, NM, NV, & UT.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Nobody20...

You'll be fine, I tow with a mildly warmed- 300/700 Dodge 2500 QC SB which is obviously single rear wheel. Mines a 5 speed- 6 speeds were a six month wait at the time and the five speed is great once you warm the motor up some. I would recommend an ex brake for the bigger hills out west. I can roll into albuquerque on 40 without using the service brakes- once you have one it spoils you.

If ford had a cummins I'd be driving what you are considering- all a matter of preference. good luck!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Go2Guy, tanks. I was planning an ex brake, chip and exhaust.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I sure like the gooseneck with camper setup. Can drop the trailer at the camp site and have the truck free for whatever. Can take all the toys with. Comfy place to sleep and SHOWER. Takes a manly truck though.;)

Here's a crappy pic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts