Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm redecking a 24' gooseneck trailer. Looking around I've seen a few shorter trailers with the boards held down by angle iron. From my searching I've seen comments that the boards will warp and it brings the suck. A few said they actually did it and it was just fine.
Does anyone with a longer trailer have deck boards held in at least partially by steel? I'm not looking forward to drilling 800 holes for self tappers. I'd rather spend that time welding more tiedown points on the trailer.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I used those in my trailer. Ended up drilling pilot holes because they would snap going into 1/4” crossmembers. That was awhile ago, so using an impact driver would probably work better. I only had a drill at the time.

As far as the OP’s question:
I’ve seen a lot of decks secured with just angle iron. Just make sure you can get it back off when it’s time to deck again.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The decks on our 30ft gooseneck trailers at work just use angle at the front and back and a 3" wide strap every 10ft that has carriage bolts into the cross member below it. So far they've held up pretty good just pull 4 bolts to replace a section of boards.

·
Premium Member
3,974 Posts
These are the only way to go for attaching trailer decking...

·
Registered
325 Posts
I like to use angle and or bolts with plates. I avoid self tapping. Properly installed and bolted the boards can stiffen the frame. Oak is superior to pine for heavy loads, the wood lasts longer if covered with diamond mesh (think 3/4" #9 ???) is standard. Some people oil their boards. Buy oak form a local sawmill.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts