Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I posted about wanting to do a drive over fender build well last trip I went on I was backing off the trailer and my tire just touched the fenders and they crushed. The original fenders were aluminum

and because of the aluminum being so flimsy I couldn't walk on them either so long story short they HAD to go. Well the plan is to make simple steel fenders that I can drive over if needed. This is the idea behind the finished product

Today I removed the aluminum fenders and after cleaning everything up I framed out the drivers side fender. No PIX yet, PIX to follow tomorrow when I finish them or at least finish framing them
Best part of this is I have 100% of the steel laying around so this build will be free minus my time

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Does that trailer have a dove tail on it, or is it really bending that much?? Looks to me that it is overloaded with two Jeeps on it.
Good luck on the fenders.

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
I just finished the one side of a friends trailer, going to be doing the other side soon, I can snap some pics when I get it back at the shop if you want.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oh yea I'd load 6000# of jeep on 3500# axles .......... NOT SO MUCH
They are 5200# brake axles but it doesn't go anywhere loaded like that, that was purely an experiment. I gets loaded with the XJ a truck tool box, and on occasion an ATV or Go Kart

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does that trailer have a dove tail on it, or is it really bending that much?? Looks to me that it is overloaded with two Jeeps on it.
Good luck on the fenders.
And yes it has a dove tail the back 6-8ft drop about 8'-10"

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Oh yea I'd load 6000# of jeep on 3500# axles .......... NOT SO MUCH
They are 5200# brake axles but it doesn't go anywhere loaded like that, that was purely an experiment. I gets loaded with the XJ a truck tool box, and on occasion an ATV or Go Kart

I dunno man, I see 5 lugs and pretty small hubs... I'm just sayin' is all,

As for your fender design I made some very similar to that for a car trailer a while back, they were 3/16 and only had one support in the middle and they were plenty strong enough to drive over.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts

As for your fender design I made some very similar to that for a car trailer a while back, they were 3/16 and only had one support in the middle and they were plenty strong enough to drive over.
your blind, 6 lugs very easily visible. :shaking: they are 5200 lb axles.

*edit* if youre looking at the last pic of the black fenders on the rusty trailer, that isnt his. its an example of what he wants to do.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
your blind, 6 lugs very easily visible. :shaking: they are 5200 lb axles.

*edit* if youre looking at the last pic of the black fenders on the rusty trailer, that isnt his. its an example of what he wants to do.

I'm not blind, and I can even count, apparently I'm just too retarded to read, oops :laughing:

It all makes sense now

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Andy your a trip.
Well not alot got done today because of unreal rain fall. I did get the passenger side frame cut and tacked on but the rain beat me out

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
the fender pic above is not his trailer,if thats what youre lookin at.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK havent updated in a while so here it is. One side is completely done minus skins. I drove the jeep up on it today and it didn't even budge. Hopefully I will finish the other side early next week.
PIX:

·
Registered
698 Posts
great thread. Big help for ideas. Thanks

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Might want to rethink that inversed bit of angle iron in the middle of your fender.

Gonna be a big trap for moisture, and crap.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I thought about that, the reason I did that was less chance of interferance with the tires. I am likely going to replace it with a piece of flat like the other two are. If I don't replace it I will drill 3-4 holes in them so they don't hold water.

Also thanks. This is my second fabbing project, first for ME, my other was a pair of bumpers for a friend, so any help is appeciated and compliments are awsome.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
One of the millwrights that contracts out for us got sick of tearing up fenders, so he got some 8" channel and made the fenders out of that. I've seen him weld down used equipment to the fenders when he couldn't tie it down decently :lmao:

Pretty sure the trailer would come apart before those fawkers would bend.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys, a bit of an update. I finished all of these fenders except a center brace and skin. I am going to skin them in 1/8th" sheet metal. I have since added a triangle gusset on the corners front and rear that really tied them all together. I will post some pix when I take them. These fenders are really over built for what I made them for but they are 100% drive over if needed and 100% SOLID.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Couple of PIX

Burned in the gussets with his 220V Stick Welder

this is the first gusset done

Some may wonder why there is a jeep on the fender? Well the fender was too high on that side and the easiest way to get it level was to add the weight of a jeep on it to drop it a little.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts