Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok heres the deal, I'm looking at a deckover gooseneck with a GVW of 14k. Now from what i've read i can only legally tow a trailer with a GVW of 10k with my regular CT drivers license (class 2). Now I've also read that as long as I'm not hauling for profit, (considered an RV) that trailer weight does'nt really matter as long as I don't go over 26k gross. Can anyone confirm this? Do I need a CDL for this, and if so what type? It seems that alot of guys on the PBB are running around with trailers that are this big or larger, but i can't seem to find an answer. I plan to mostly be towing just my CJ but want the option of towing two rigs if need be (which makes a smaller trailer not really an option). From a legal stand point am I worse off to have a trailer thats over the legal GVW but fine for the weight of the load, or a trailer that is loaded over it's GVW? Search is down right now and the CT DMV website is worthless. I wanna get this all sorted out before I order this thing and then find out that i can't tow it anywhere without getting pulled over every two min. thank in advance for any replies.

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
The regulations DO vary somewhat state - state. In Cali you can tow a G.N.
or 5th wheel "travel trailer" under 15k GVWR with a Class C (passenger car) license.
As far as I've heard a flatbed G.N. used for hauling vehicles IS NOT considered
a "travel trailer". The limit here for non-travel trailer and bumper pull is under 10K GVWR.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
allright i just dug around on the CT DMV website and finally came up with this,

Non-Commercial Driver's License

1 = Any motor vehicle except a commercial motor vehicle.

2 = Any motor vehicle, including a recreational vehicle of any weight, except a commercial motor vehicle, an articulated vehicle, or combination of motor vehicle and trailer where the gross weight of the trailing unit or trailer is more than 10,000 pounds.

So it would seem that i need a class A CDL

Commercial Driver's License

A = Any combination of vehicles with a gross combined weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 or more pounds providing the gross vehicle rating (GVWR) of the vehicle(s) being towed in excess of 10,000 pounds.
- holders of class A licenses may, with the appropriate endorsements and restrictions, operate all vehicles within classes B and C.

B = Any single vehicle with GVWR of 26,000 or more pounds, or such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.
- holders of class B licenses may, with the appropriate endorsements and restrictions, operate all vehicles within class C.

C = Any single vehicle/combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of class A or B, but is:

* designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver.
* designed to transport 11 or more passengers, including the driver and is used to transport students under the age of 21 years of age to and from school.
* a vehicle that is required to be placarded for hazardous materials.

Now if i were to get a CDL would i need to register my pickup as a commercial vehicle, carry a logbook and all that kind of stuff?:(

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
SanDiegoCJ said:
The regulations DO vary somewhat state - state. In Cali you can tow a G.N.
or 5th wheel "travel trailer" under 15k GVWR with a Class C (passenger car) license.
Yeah, but with a gooseneck travel trailer, you're not allowed to have people in the trailer during towing. And you can with a 5th wheel as long as you have communication with them.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
will-m said:
Now if i were to get a CDL would i need to register my pickup as a commercial vehicle, carry a logbook and all that kind of stuff?:(
No, you won't have to register the truck. As far as the logbook, that varies from state to state. Here is CA it is like this: If you are a CA resident and towing within the state of CA, you don't have to run a logbook. But as soon as you travel interstate (out of your home state) then you do need the log book. So to answer your question, I doubt it, but for sure if you are traveling out of your home state, because then you fall under federal DOT law which does require it.

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
Trailer Guy said:
Yeah, but with a gooseneck travel trailer, you're not allowed to have people in the trailer during towing. And you can with a 5th wheel as long as you have communication with them.
Dude... seriously?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow this is really starting to suck. So pretty much towing two rigs legaly is impossible. I really don't want to get into carrying a logbook (not that i know anything about them) I'm gonna have to rethink this.:rolleyes: I really don't know what to do at this point.:(

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Your DMV rules contradict themselves. The Non-commercial ruling says if the trailer is over 10K, no matter what the weight of the tow vehicle is, requires CDL. The commercial ruling says that CDL is required when the Gross Combined Weight (truck and trailer) exceeds 26K, provided the trailer has a GVWR over 10K.

Which one is it??? I'd be calling the state on that one.

Not all CDL drivers are required to have a log book either. Ask them about that one too.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
trailer where the gross weight of the trailing unit or trailer is more than 10,000 pounds.
I'm looking at this now and it does'nt really say that the trailer can only have a GCWR of 10K, it just says that it can't weigh more then 10K. I'm gonna try to call the DMV tommrow and see if I can get some kind of answer.

On another note if i were to go for a CDL would i be able to take the test in my f-350 or would I have to take it in a tractor trailer or dumptruck? thanks again to everyone who's replyed

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
Travis Waldher said:
Dude... seriously?

Yes, TrailerGuy was 100% serious. In Cali you CAN have passengers in a 5th wheel travel
trailer while driving down the road as long as you have communications. Either
an intercom or a radio such as FRS.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
You should not need a log book. You are not hauling for hire. I drive a truck for a living, in California you only need to carry a log book if you go over 100 miles from your home terminal, or work over 12 consecutive hours in a day. If you stay within 100 miles and don't work past the 12 hour mark, you can just log your daily hours on a calender or time card. For this you just put down your start time, finish time and total for the week.

When I drive for recreation, I don't have to carry a log of any type no matter how far I am going. This is what I drive for recreation. 13,900 LBS for the two trailers.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
offroad_joe said:
You should not need a log book. You are not hauling for hire. I drive a truck for a living, in California you only need to carry a log book if you go over 100 miles from your home terminal, or work over 12 consecutive hours in a day. If you stay within 100 miles and don't work past the 12 hour mark, you can just log your daily hours on a calender or time card. For this you just put down your start time, finish time and total for the week.

When I drive for recreation, I don't have to carry a log of any type no matter how far I am going. This is what I drive for recreation. 13,900 LBS for the two trailers.

How many times have you been pulled over to make sure you have a class A with doubles/triples endorsement?

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Never, CHP have better things to do than mess with RV'ers, I have had two give me the thumbs up as they passed. If I was driving down the freeway at excessive speeds and the trailers were all over the lanes, I would have a target on my back. My setup is put together properly. I spent two hours at a scale, taking 15 different weights to make sure everything is legal,and getting tongue weights the way I wanted it. I run two brake controllers one for each trailer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts