Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Both of the trucks that I use to pull trailers came wired from the factory with the 4-pin or square style trailer light plugs. Whenever I borrow a friends trailer from time to time I have to run with no lights since his trailer is set up with the 7-pin round plug. Does anyone make a converter to mate my 4-pin square to a 7-pin flat or blade style plug? I have searched every parts store in town but to no avail. Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Both of the trucks that I use to pull trailers came wired from the factory with the 4-pin or square style trailer light plugs. Whenever I borrow a friends trailer from time to time I have to run with no lights since his trailer is set up with the 7-pin round plug. Does anyone make a converter to mate my 4-pin square to a 7-pin round plug? I have searched every parts store in town but to no avail. Thanks for any and all help.
flat 4 on the truck and 7 round on the trailer.......they don't make one

The best, and about the only over the counter thing for you is what Motor posted above in the link. That's a nice setup. It gives you both the flat 4 and the 7rv. The problem is, you mention that the trailers have a 7 round pin plug. Be sure that it isn't the flat pin style plug, or 7rv plug.

If it really is the 7 round pin plug, then they don't make a plug like in the link above. The you can just buy the two plugs and wire them yourself. Flat 4 to 7 round wiring would be color to color, making your own adapter.

·
Registered
1998 TJ with stuff
4,041 Posts

The best, and about the only over the counter thing for you is what Motor posted above in the link. That's a nice setup. It gives you both the flat 4 and the 7rv. The problem is, you mention that the trailers have a 7 round pin plug. Be sure that it isn't the flat pin style plug, or 7rv plug.

If it really is the 7 round pin plug, then they don't make a plug like in the link above. The you can just buy the two plugs and wire them yourself. Flat 4 to 7 round wiring would be color to color, making your own adapter.
This is what I found to be the situation as well. I don't know if it is true or not, but I was told that they would never make such an adapter commercially because it would disable the use of the electric brakes on the trailer and that would be a liability exposure that no company would want. :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,712 Posts
go to tsc and buy a convertor? or buy both plugs and make your own.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
Why not just go to a 7 pin RV on the truck? That's what I did. You can adapt to damn near any trailer with that plug. Heck, I don't even have a trailer that uses the 7 pin rv plug.:laughing:

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I don't know if it is true or not, but I was told that they would never make such an adapter commercially because it would disable the use of the electric brakes on the trailer and that would be a liability exposure that no company would want. :eek:
Why not just go to a 7 pin RV on the truck? That's what I did. You can adapt to damn near any trailer with that plug. Heck, I don't even have a trailer that uses the 7 pin rv plug.:laughing:
Install a 7 way rv style plug and brake controller on the truck.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
Install a 7 way rv style plug and brake controller on the truck.
Yep. Then get adapters for the rest. I have a 7rv-6 round for the car trailer, and a 7 rv-4 flat for my little trailer. I'm sure if you looked you could get a 7rv-7 round for your buddies trailer. I carry a backpack in the truck with trailer balls and wiring adapters in it, along with other things. I can be hooked up to any trailer within 3 minutes.

If his is 7 pin, it sounds like it has brakes, and if so, you need to have a controller, and wiring to support that.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes you can get a converter. I have one, I don't remember where I got it from though.
Thats good to know. If you can remember where you got it and have some contact info that would be great!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks alot for the info. I had a typo in the first post. The trailers I borrow whenever needed are the 7 blade style of the plug not 7 round. Can you tell me some more info on the converter that motor mentioned?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
go to tsc and buy a convertor? or buy both plugs and make your own.
I went to TSC and called the manufactuer about the converter from 4-pin to 7-blade and they said they did not make one and would not make one due to too much liability involved.

Well now that I have seen what other options are out there instead of at TSC and other parts stores, I may just do that. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
I went to TSC and called the manufactuer about the converter from 4-pin to 7-blade and they said they did not make one and would not make one due to too much liability involved.
There IS a 4-7 adapter made. We stock them.
That other Multi Tow adapter is actually a pretty nice piece. It plugs into the flat 4. You connect the ground, mount the bracket and socket, and you are done. It has pigtails for the brakes, 12V+ and Aux already built in, so all you need to do is connect wires to them when you are ready.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts

That "adapter" is not a true adapter. That is just to ease the installation of a 7 way plug when someone already has a 4 flat connector on their tow vehicle. If it was a true adaptr, it wouldn't have the brake, charge, back-up, and heavy ground wire coming out of the back of it.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
That "adapter" is not a true adapter. That is just to ease the installation of a 7 way plug when someone already has a 4 flat connector on their tow vehicle. If it was a true adaptr, it wouldn't have the brake, charge, back-up, and heavy ground wire coming out of the back of it.
That's the way I see it, too. It seems hack to go that route, rather than properly hard wiring the 7 way, IMHO. Once you have the 7, you can stick an adapter in for anything else.

NOTE: Be sure the adapters work right. I bought a 7rv-6 round adapter right before I helped my parents move to run their (now mine) car trailer. The lights were all jacked up. I had to run between two of our other vehicles with no lights. Dad blew a tire 100 miles down the road, and needed a new one, so I started puttering in a gas station parking lot and found out they had installed the 6 round side of the adapter 180* out. THe kicker is, it's molded to go in one way, so I had to wittle down the tabs with my knife to be able to flip it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That other Multi Tow adapter is actually a pretty nice piece. It plugs into the flat 4. You connect the ground, mount the bracket and socket, and you are done. It has pigtails for the brakes, 12V+ and Aux already built in, so all you need to do is connect wires to them when you are ready.
Thanks alot for your help and pointing me into the right direction with etrailer. I just placed an order for one of the conversion parts so I can hook up to whatever trailer I want. It should be here in a couple of days so then I'll go test it out. I ran by TSC in town and they were out of the particular converter that I wanted so I just decided to place the order with etrailer. Than ks once again and I'll post up how everything works.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts