Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hophead
77,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this website posted on another BBS. Anyone ever do this, buy a kit (axles, etc) and use the plans to build your own trailer? Seems like a way to save a decent amount of $$ and build the trailer the way you'd like. I need to keep the trailer as light as possible (only towing a Samurai) and as affordable as well.

http://www.championtrailers.com/catalog_pdf.htm

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Can you *really* save money?

I dunno... Seems tough :confused:

Time, materials, ELECTRICITY, tools, etc. all add up.

You can discount your time, but you still gotta pay for materials and the electricity... and a lot of welding will jack up the power bill a LOT.

·
Hophead
77,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Time, hell time is "free" (no it's not but I think it might be fun and satisfying to build my own trailer so it would be worthwhile)

Tools, my friends or I have what we need so not worried about that.

Electricity, is it really going to take THAT much electricity?

Materials, Real quick I came up with needing 127 1/2' of 2x3 steel (some of that is actually 3x4 but lets make it easy). What I really need to do is figure out how much that steel costs per foot. Anyone have any wild ass guess? The kit would be about $450-$500 for a 1 brake axle.

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
Joe_W said:
Time, hell time is "free" (no it's not but I think it might be fun and satisfying to build my own trailer so it would be worthwhile)

Tools, my friends or I have what we need so not worried about that.

Electricity, is it really going to take THAT much electricity?

Materials, Real quick I came up with needing 127 1/2' of 2x3 steel (some of that is actually 3x4 but lets make it easy). What I really need to do is figure out how much that steel costs per foot. Anyone have any wild ass guess? The kit would be about $450-$500 for a 1 brake axle.

I paid $700 for a 1 year old trailer that was overbuilt compared to most 16' bumper pulls.

Valuing my time at $20/hr if it took me longer than about 13 hours to build/work on the thing I am losing money.

Also - did you figure in wheels, tires, spare wheel and tire, lug nuts, wiring, lights, jack, ramps (both materials and time to build), hitch, etc.

I dunno... if I could do it for $300 +/- in parts, it *might* start looking appealing...

·
Hophead
77,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn you got a good price on a trailer. I need to find one of them :)

Kit comes with some, but not all of the things you listed. Of course I do need to add leaf springs to the list as well.

This thread as much as anything is a "convince me why this is NOT a good idea" :D

Sounds like I need to keep looking for used trailers, hopefully I'll come across a steal one day

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
I don't mean to just drag you down... I am king of wanting to do/build something myself if I can do it. But I am also realistic in my approach.

I used to count my time as free too. Not any more! I may consider my time to be "reduced", but I will no longer consider it "free".

Maybe having a wife, kids, yardwork, and a million other constraints and demands on my time have forced me to look at it like that ;)

Yes, I did get a good deal on the trailer, but I see them for $900 or less all the time around here.

For your need though - specifically to haul a sami - you *might* be able to build a lightweight trailer to meet the job for pretty cheap.

But I will warn you - my trailer sees use at least 3-4 times a month, and 90% of that is for things OTHER than what I bought it for: hauling my trail rig around. It moves furniture, parts rigs, friend's dead cars, tools, trees, dirt, rocks, tractors, etc.

Point is - a trailer purchase is a TOOL purchase... and making it super-specialized means you may not have that tool available when you need it for some other use.

I say keep looking for a deal... and have the $$$ ready to pounce on one when you find it - that is KEY to not letting them slip out form under you :)

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
BTW - I will be building a trailer this weekend most likely ;)

I have a 4x8 sheet of expanded steel on a 1.5" sq tube frame that a buddy built for a BBQ grate and left at my farm. I will be adding some more braces, make it a tilt bed, and nabbing the axle from a small utility trailer I have and making a 4x8 trailer for hauling around lawn mowers and the like :)

All told, I will have under $100 in the thing...

Key there is that most of the stuff was free ;)

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
IT"S NOT WORTH IT. BUY ONE READY MADE AND YOU WILL BE TIME AND MONEY AHEAD IN THE LONG RUN!!!!!!

I've built two trailers. Neither from kits but I did start with free axles and a substantial discount on the materials.

First one came in at $1350 in materials only. 14,000lb capacity tandem axle 7' 10" by 20' with 4' dove tail, full diamond plate deck, new wheels and tires, brakes on both axles.

Second one came in at ~$1500 (I honestly never added it up so it could be more). 8'5" wide, 16' 9" wood deck, 10,000lb capacity tandem axle, wood deck with drop center, brakes on both axles.

I can tell you I will NEVER build another trailer. It's a lot of time laying it out, welding it, repositioning, welding some more, sand blasting, painting, assembling, and wiring.

IT"S NOT WORTH IT. BUY ONE READY MADE AND YOU WILL BE TIME AND MONEY AHEAD IN THE LONG RUN!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
I think these guys have the economical argument sewed up tight.

The only reason to do your own is if you just can;t get what you need in the local market - from experience I'm speaking specifically of width, but there may be other design factors too.

That said - DRM makes a good argument to not go "too specialized" to.

Whatever you do - be sure to chcek out my article in the sticky at the top of this page

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
3,382 Posts
Well Joe, since I only paid $1300 for my big tandum trailer and my Aluminum trailer cost me $500 in parts, think I came out ahead buying the big one rather than building one. Since iit's 3Xthe little trailer. And it took me 8 years to scrounge all those Alum "I" beams at work for the little one. Not to mention the time it took to drill all those holes in the Alum. :)
I like the single axle, but it beats me to hell towing it. The Tandum rides like it's not back there.
WW makes some killer trailers that will save you a lot of agrivation.
So I guess what I'm saying is, Not knowing your financial situation and all. Building one will make a good father son project. But Damn they're a lot of work. In that case a kit trailer would be the way to go. Saves a lot of guess work. But don't you still have to come up with the frame material even after buying the kit? :confused: Southwest Wheel sells all the stuff you need.

SSS Rodeo

Edit note: Damn, wouldn't you know it, I just checked the link on the other thread and it goes directly to Southwest Wheel. Man, prices have sure gone up since I last built a trailer. NEVERMIND!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts