Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
FWIW, I have my car hauler insured with statefarm for $1500 replacement value. It costs me like $30 a year and has a $100 deductable.

Given that pricepoint, I slap a master lock on it and hope its there when I get home at the end of the day...

Well worth it...

·
Premium Member
6,790 Posts
Well, i had my trailer stolen when i had a pintle lock, 3/8 chain going through all 4 rims, and 1/2" chain through tie down points and around a 30 foot iron lamp post. They smashed off the pintle lock and cut down the lamp post, loaded it on the trailer and drove away with the wheels not turning. This all took them around 3-5 minutes. If they want it, they will get it. Btw i found the guys who stole the trailer, was on a 5 mile chase when finally the police caught up and arrested them. They are serving 8 yrs in san quentin.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a bight yellow hitch lock, cable lock though the tires , a 1/2 chain rapped round the frame and locked to a 160 lbs concrete embed. I also have to parked in the corner of my city lot (fenced on two sides) with my truck parked in front of it.

I've been doing this for 8 years...... knock on wood

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't get it? If someone wants it, they are going to take it. Insure it.
This, I have mine as a rider on my truck policy through progressive. In SD is was like $30/year and now in IN, it's still only like $60/year. I lock the coupler and chain through the rim, but I still know that somebody will take it if they want it bad enough.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
You know that guy (or guys, every town has a few) that pay the bills by cleaning out storage lockers, scrapping stuff and dealing with junk? His yard's probably full of junk. There's a camper trailer or three full of junk parked in it and at least twice as many non-running cars as campers. He's got a patio made from three different kinds of pavers and has the most expensive patio furniture in the whole county, except no two pieces are from the same set.

That guy usually has one of the nicest tool collections in the whole town, although he never uses most of it and doesn't know what a third of them do, but nobody steals it.

Why not?

It's distributed around a handful of places on his property, he doesn't keep it readily accessible in a single location.

He has a lot in common with the people doing the stealing. People think of themselves as good people and have a hard time doing bad things to people who are very similar (which is also why cops only very rarely shoot other white men of about the same age).

Presentation. You'd never know that pickup toolbox sinking into the ground out by his back porch is full of StrapOn tools someone's dead relative had in a storage locker that got cleaned out for nonpayment.

·
Registered
165 Posts
A few others I've seen:

We've probably all seen welders or other trailer-mounted equipment stored on construction sites 50 feet in the air on the end of a crane cable. Unfortunately, most of us don't have a big enough crane.

A variation on the crane theme is to park the trailer on the ground and have the A-frame tongue (or any convenient gap in the bed) straddling a stout post. You need a front-end loader to lift the trailer off the post. If you have a loader handy, it takes an extra 5 minutes, but chances are the thieves didn't bring one with them, so it takes them a little longer to find out which building the loader's stored in, break into the building, and figure out how to start the machine.

Another one I've seen some farmers use if they didn't have enough room to store the entire trailer inside was to cut a small hole in the wall of a shed, push the tongue through it into the shed, and lock it in place by one of the many methods already discussed. Breaking into the shed adds an extra step with extra time and noise.

Personally, I just leave my car trailer parked behind the barn. It takes about 2 weeks for the weeds to get so high nobody can see it. With a gooseneck, it would take a little longer. Besides, the ground is so swampy I need a tractor to pull the trailer out to the driveway to hook it up. If anybody tried to pull it out with a 4wd pickup, I'd inherit the truck.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Presentation. You'd never know that pickup toolbox sinking into the ground out by his back porch is full of StrapOn tools someone's dead relative had in a storage locker that got cleaned out for nonpayment.
I once had a full size diamond plate tool box full of good tools stolen, before I moved up the head of a holler. Now I can leave my doors unlocked, I don't, but I could.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've been reading these threads as I've been conceiving ways to improve my trailer security. Stopped by to pay the bill yesterday at the storage facility and the guy mentioned that "everyone wants that trailer, they keep asking if it's for sale". Time to get it on my insurance and get around to building a couple security devices I've been thinking about. Current security would stop a spur of the moment theft but could easily be overcome with a couple spare parts.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had my 24 foot Enclosed ripped off Early Dec, it was in a locked compound and had one of the wrap around ball locks on it. Both the trailer lock and the gate lock were cut.

I was stupid and had no insurance on it, really kicking my self for that now.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
So they go steal a ring off someone else's trailer and come back the following day

You'd probably have better luck bolting it upside down in the bottom most position and using left threaded bolts.

Probably true but they'd steal that "someone else's" trailer first. I know you can't protect it if somebody wants to steel it, just make it harder to steal than the one parked next to it.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I've seen them steal trailers with a u shaped attachment that loops under the a-frame then slides into the receiver, called the cops on one from local construction yard but they didn't make it soon enough...

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
What about a bolt type lock the went threw the wheel and hub itself all the way threw a attach point on axle. So all you would see is head on either end. It would look like a wheel lug lock. Hard to explain I guess. Fab and you would need to drill holes etc.

Then to unlock just remove the lock and push the bolt back. Might have to crawl under to remove the pin. You could do one or all wheels. It would keep the wheels from moving and be hard to cut off.

·
Registered
413 Posts
What about a bolt type lock the went threw the wheel and hub itself all the way threw a attach point on axle. So all you would see is head on either end. It would look like a wheel lug lock. Hard to explain I guess. Fab and you would need to drill holes etc.

Then to unlock just remove the lock and push the bolt back. Might have to crawl under to remove the pin. You could do one or all wheels. It would keep the wheels from moving and be hard to cut off.
Based on an earlier post it sounds like these fuckers don't care if the tires aren't turning.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Based on an earlier post it sounds like these fuckers don't care if the tires aren't turning.
Yeah guess not. lol

I really like the nail bed idea posted in another thread.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts