Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the option of bidding on this trailer... Is this overkill for my non dually dodge ram to pull? Anyone have any ideas on weight of this trailer and value? The auction is over today. 12k capacity...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
not over kill for the dodge. but what is going on it?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I sold my rig (TJ) so I am actually looking to start something new. I want to geta trailer first so when I find the right deal I can go pick it up. Any idea on weight or value. I don't want to pay what it is worth, what would be a bargain deal...

I am also looking to use it just to haul lots of crap around and for when we move in a couple months.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The only problem I see is the axles are really far back and it is going to induce some serious tongue wieght compared to my 20' 12k tandem trailer. I would say this trailer is worth $2500 on the topside with everything working. A new replacement is going to be about $3500. Bid $1800-2000 and I'd say youre into it safe, may want to move the axles up just a tad to relieve some tongue weight and get away from the pintle hitch IMO

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Your truck will tow it fine, but it better be a smokin' deal to haul all that extra weight around. That thing has to weigh close to 4k, I beam's aren't light. It's definitely meant to haul a lot longterm, but you mileage and power are going to suffer. Mine is 2500 and I know it's there behind my F350 compared to other trailers that aren't as heavily built. I wouldnt' give more than $1500 for it, you can build a lot nicer one that is lighter for under 2k. The axles are really far back as said before. You are really going to squat your truck, you may have to load a truck with the engine back to keep it manageable since they don't give you a whole lot of room on the dovetail. It was probably used to haul a Bobcat/loader on a big truck where they didn't really have to worry about the tongue weight as much as on a light duty truck.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I don't think you'll ever be able to load it up "just right" (tongue-weight wise). Even if the towed vehicle is a$$-end first, the engine will barely be over the axles. The a$$-end will leverage down the tongue quite a bit.

That's my 0.02$.

JP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts