Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2x3500lb Dexter torsion axle car trailer that I've been wanting to put heavier-duty tires on for some time, specifically the 235/85r16 tires that my truck uses. They're cheap (and I already have tons of them), it'd be convenient to have the same tire size, and they have way more load capacity than I'd ever need.

The problem is that 16" 5x4.5 bolt pattern trailer wheels don't seem to exist, and even if they did they'd be dangerously rare if one of mine got messed up somewhere away from home.

My thought is to somehow find adapters that'd take a 16" non-dually truck wheel, but I don't know if they exist or are safe. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Why focus on trailer wheels, lots of vehicles came with a 5 x 4.5" BP and 16" wheels stock (Jeep Liberty, Ford Ranger etc.) so I would be looking on CL/Ebay.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Only problem with factory style rims is the off set. Like i wanted to swop to dodge alum rims like i have on my 01 24ctd, but the offset made the tire rub my frame.
Ive seen 16" trailer rims with all kinda of bolt problems.

I run old style superduty rims on my car hauler with two 6000lbs axles. But there 8lug. And i run 245-65-16 E's. Ive had them for 5 years now. Same truck i run on my trick. hell im have to replace them because they started to dry rott.

·
Registered
14,025 Posts
another problem you will have to solve is the small center hub centric hole. I used a 18" lathe to open mine up on the Tahoe rims I got for my trailer.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only problem with factory style rims is the off set. Like i wanted to swop to dodge alum rims like i have on my 01 24ctd, but the offset made the tire rub my frame.
This is the problem, yeah. I've used 5x4.5 car/truck wheels on my trailer before but they're very close to the trailer deck. That's why I was thinking of adapters with truck wheels, to set the wheel out farther. They could even just be spacers, but I have no idea how well those work especially on a trailer.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Your going to kill your bearings really quick with spacers.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Looks to be cheaper to put new hubs on the trailer than the wheel adapters:shaking:

OUCH

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
I simply went to discount tire and bought the cheapest set of wheels they had with the proper bolt pattern and size, turned out to be a chrome mod style for 50$ each.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Ive seen 16" trailer rims with all kinda of bolt problems.

I run old style superduty rims on my car hauler with two 6000lbs axles. But there 8lug. And i run 245-65-16 E's. Ive had them for 5 years now. Same truck i run on my trick. hell im have to replace them because they started to dry rott.
This is the problem, yeah. I've used 5x4.5 car/truck wheels on my trailer before but they're very close to the trailer deck. That's why I was thinking of adapters with truck wheels, to set the wheel out farther. They could even just be spacers, but I have no idea how well those work especially on a trailer.
A factory Ford Ranger 16 x 7" wheel with 12mm of negative offset will have the inboard side of the wheel in the same location relative to the trailer frame as a 15 x 6" trailer wheel with 0 offset.

Also quite easy to find 5 x 4.5", 16 x 7" wheels with 0 offset that puts the wheels 1/2" closer to the frame.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A factory Ford Ranger 16 x 7" wheel with 12mm of negative offset will have the inboard side of the wheel in the same location relative to the trailer frame as a 15 x 6" trailer wheel with 0 offset.

Also quite easy to find 5 x 4.5", 16 x 7" wheels with 0 offset that puts the wheels 1/2" closer to the frame.
Do you happen to know exactly what models they came on?

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
5X114.3x16 came on honda, suz and a few others. Maybe if they came off a 4x4 the center hole might be big enough.?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Running 16x7 wheels off 98 or 99 explorer on buddys trailer they clear the frame rails just fine and fit over the hubs no problem. Best bet for for 16" ranger/explorer wheels is 98 and up

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bringing back this real old thread since I am FINALLY doing this (I think).

I'm looking at buying the rims in the image. These would be going on my car trailer, 5x4.5 standard Dexter bolt pattern. The reason is because I want more ground clearance and I have a huge stack of 215/85R16 tires I'd like to use.

I'm pretty sure the offset is fine since I've been using car/truck wheels on my trailer forever, but I'm less sure about the center hole and the weight rating. They need to be rated to 1750 if they're gonna match my axles. The seller is 70 miles away or I'd just bring my trailer to check.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Here's Johnny!
1,582 Posts
Ford Explorer or Ranger wheels? I was looking at some with that same pattern. I'm pretty sure those are the bigger hole wheels. I haven't put my hands on a set yet to measure though so take it with a grain of salt. I do know that hole size is bigger than the newer wheels.

I'd like to know about the weight rating too. Never did find anything about that although my gut says they should be fine. Post up if you do find out.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whoops, I meant to put that they're '01 Ranger rims. 1600 pounds is pretty close and I never put anything THAT heavy on the trailer, so I think I'm gonna go with 'em.

I just found these too, though, all it says is "Ford F-150" so I can't guess the bolt pattern, anyone know offhand? Set of 16" steel rims and tires

1 - 20 of 22 Posts