Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not exactly sure that this is the right place for this post, but what I am hoping to do is aquire additional places to go offroading in the north eastern part of pennsylvannia besides paragon park. Not that theres anything wrong with paragon park mind you, but looking for alternate places.

For starters, I go offroading off of rt 739 5 miles east of lords valley taking 5 mile road ( a gravel road thats 5 miles long that gives access to hunting trails that gets you out in the middle of no mans land, completely legitimate and secluded ) and take the last trail on the right giving me an hour drive in and an hour drive out going through some minor mud, some rocks, a dried up stream rock bed and some slight inclines and small valleys to go through. Not exactly the best place in the world, but it sufices until finding something better.

Anyone else willing to share places to go offroading in northeastern PA? Perhaps a get together for a day of offroading??

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
There is a place in Susquehanna County called the Million Dollar Highway. It is between Great Bend and New Milford and runs parallel to 81. It is not difficult, and it goes through the game lands. It is legal to drive on, just do not venture off the road (it is tempting, but posted, they will fine you). This road is a blast in the winter as there is no maintenance. In the summer, not so fun-- they grade it every other year or so for handycap access to the game lands. I have not been on the MDH in about 3 years.

I grew up in that area, but now live down in Reading and hardly ever go up north with the Jeep.

I think there are some people over on http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/forum.php? that I know of. One person up by Elk Mountain who wheels, but I am not sure if she wheels locally.....

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SquattyD said:
try some of the NE off road sites.

http://forums.twistedwheelers.com/index.php? has a bunch of NE and PA guys.
Went to check out that forum, liked the fact that 90% of the posts regarded PA wheeling and so I bookmarked it to return after replying to the two that replied to my post and will be joining that forum.... thanks for the heads up on that forum site :beer:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mark99tj said:
There is a place in Susquehanna County called the Million Dollar Highway. It is between Great Bend and New Milford and runs parallel to 81. It is not difficult, and it goes through the game lands. It is legal to drive on, just do not venture off the road (it is tempting, but posted, they will fine you). This road is a blast in the winter as there is no maintenance. In the summer, not so fun-- they grade it every other year or so for handycap access to the game lands. I have not been on the MDH in about 3 years.

I grew up in that area, but now live down in Reading and hardly ever go up north with the Jeep.

I think there are some people over on http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/forum.php? that I know of. One person up by Elk Mountain who wheels, but I am not sure if she wheels locally.....
Hey, I'm not too far outside of milford and thinking new milford shouldnt be that far outside of milford :)... guess a trip to mapquest is in order to locate this trail you speak of and will need to head out that way someday soon to check it out. Thanks mate
Btw, including the information that its legal to be wheeling on that trail providing one sticks to the trail is greatly appreciated... dont wanna get any tickets/fines. Thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mark99tj said:

Hey, I'm not too far outside of milford and thinking new milford shouldnt be that far outside of milford :)... guess a trip to mapquest is in order to locate this trail you speak of and will need to head out that way someday soon to check it out. Thanks mate
Btw, including the information that its legal to be wheeling on that trail providing one sticks to the trail is greatly appreciated... dont wanna get any tickets/fines. Thanks
Will check out that forum site and see what its about, maybe join thier forum as well, thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pirhana said:
Will check out that forum site and see what its about, maybe join thier forum as well, thanks
Did a mapquest search for new milford and its totally do-able for me to make that trip out there... according to mapquest :Total Est. Time: 1 hour, 11 minutes, but I can usually shave some time off mapquests estimated times :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
rocknutyj said:
you have Rausch creek about an hour south of paragon off 81
And the information starts pouring in, thanks guys, now I have more then one trail to check out some time.... if any of you guys ever wanna wheel with me sometime, let me know.... would be glad to meet a few guys with simular interests from here.
Will only be able to wheel till end of summer when the tracker undergoes a major mod of swapping to a jeep frame, chevy 350 motor/tranny/drivelines, solid front axle swap, and going at least 8" suspension lift and 3" body lift.... of course complete underside armor and a calmini interior rollcage. Has 30"11r15LT BF Goodrich Tracker AT tires on her now with a 2.5" coil lift for now... cant wait till I get to start this project :)

Rausch Creek is do-able for me as well... a little longer of a drive then new milford, but still easily do-able. According to mapquest: Total Est. Time: 1 hour, 55 minutes.... can probably do it in an hour and a half. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I have a house on lake wally and we can make PAP in about an hour (towing a trailer) and RC is about 35 minutes further. not bad drives though for legal wheeling!

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
pirhana said:
...and going at least 8" suspension lift and 3" body lift....

perhaps you should search around and do a little reconsidering before you put 11 inches of lift on your rig. i have about 7-8" of lift on my junk, i could easily run 42" tires, and i'd still like it to be lower.

oh, and 1.5 hours is not a far drive to go wheelin. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
13,886 Posts
here is my solution to the lack of public land, lack of government support, and lack of people that like to actually wheel, and the overwhelming number of people who just get in the woods and get drunk and litter. (typically on private lands) in PA

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
what about arizona?? dont send those nazi tree huggers and litter bugs to the state I call home. Thats right, we have so much great open, public land here...and very few people make use of it...I hope it stays that way...so all you back east - STAY EAST! :D

besides we have enough people invading from the south...
keep the garbage out. :usa:

·
Registered
13,886 Posts
Westy said:
what about arizona?? dont send those nazi tree huggers and litter bugs to the state I call home. Thats right, we have so much great open, public land here...and very few people make use of it...I hope it stays that way...so all you back east - STAY EAST! :D

besides we have enough people invading from the south...
keep the garbage out. :usa:
Good thinking, i fixed it....but your not diverting me..... :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
61scout80 said:
Good thinking, i fixed it....but your not diverting me..... :flipoff2:
hah, I got ya...I just saw your info below your user name. Welcome out west...you'll enjoy AZ (minus the heat - appromiately 115-120 today) in PHX area. 4wheeling in this state is awesome, there are trails everywhere and you wont be far from NM, CO, Moab or California.

·
Registered
13,886 Posts
24 days until i head out to sign the lease, I can't wait.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
there is nothing on 739 that is nothing more than f'ing around in some puddles, go to paragon ASAP

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
87JeepWrangler said:
perhaps you should search around and do a little reconsidering before you put 11 inches of lift on your rig. i have about 7-8" of lift on my junk, i could easily run 42" tires, and i'd still like it to be lower.

oh, and 1.5 hours is not a far drive to go wheelin. :flipoff2:
I was thinking that 11" total might be excessive, and not to mention that a body lift ( to my knowledge ) is illegal here in PA as well... especially a 3". I might divert away from the 3" body kit all together and will see how it looks with the 8" suspension lift before I make any concrete decisions regarding the body lift.

In regards to the 1.5 hour drive not being that far to drive to go wheeling... I agree and IF my time was a lil more free then it is then I would have no problem making longer drives. Problem is between work and my home life being structured as much as it is with my wife and all... getting out for part of the day is a chore and a half

1 - 20 of 47 Posts