Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey In swapped in a 85 engine and tranny (22R) into a 81 pick up and the t case and tranny sticks hit each other. If I turn the t case stick around it doesn't work, so there is only one position it can be in. The tranny stick works the way I have it other than the interferance. So I tried turning it 180* and it hits the dash before I can even get it into position. Is there something I am missing?
-jesse

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
just bend the crap out of it.

·
Registered
25,020 Posts
TNToy said:
Do they only rub a little bit in Reverse, and in 2HI?

If so, your solution can be found on www.they-all-do-that.com

;)
Linky don't worky.

:p

My old '85 had problems, the t-case stick would knock the tranny into neutral when in 4LO, if I wasn't careful. Of course, I could also pull the tranny stick completely out and wave it at passing traffic :rasta:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Mine has always done that, just get in the habit of grabbing it down low and holing the t-case shifter with your thumb while you pull it in to 2nd gear.:D

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No they hit hard. Like when the t case is in 4 hi they are in each others way. I know about the whole little bit in Rev thing, but there is no way I could drive in 2nd 4th or Rev. I am just curious about whether I should just bend it or if something is not right? Also I wonder if maybe the dash is more towards the rear of the cab in the 81? No one has had this happen to them?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well out of the 2 positions you can bolt on the t case shifter, only one position allows movement of the stick. That is the position the t case shifter is in. Now the tranny shifter only has 2 ways you can bolt it on also. With the bend in the shifter pointed forward, the shifter hits the dash before I can even get the flange flat to bolt to the tranny. Therefore, I was unable to tell if the shifter will even work that way. So the only way left is to have the tranny shifter positioned so the bend points toward the back. In that position the two shifters are basically so close that w/ the tranny in neutral, the stick touch. I never parted the t case from the tranny, so I doubt that the shiftr is in the correct position. But I would like to check before I go bending the tranny stick so I can bolt it on with the bend pointing forwards. Make sense? How about this ? does anyone w/ a 84-88 22R know which way the bend is pointing?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
the way the tranny shifter bolts in is obvious, it has to clear the dash, but i have put the t-case shift on backwards and it caused the problems you are describing.

·
Registered
24,646 Posts
brimy311 said:
the way the tranny shifter bolts in is obvious, it has to clear the dash, but i have put the t-case shift on backwards and it caused the problems you are describing.
Yup. I also think the tcase shifter is in worng, flip it 180 and then try it, it's not rocket science. I just re-installed mine and put the rear case shifter in backwards for more clearance. No center console anymore helps.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it may not be rocket science, but when I do flip the t case shifter, ti does not move around like it should. It will just sit in one position. I was looking at my friends shifters and it too seems to me that it is my t case shifter that is messed up so I guess I will continue to fiddle w/ it. Do you guys know if your t case shifters will work correctly in both positions?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool, I turned the t case shifter around and it still didn't move, but I wiggled it and it moved into place and works fine now. Thanks guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts