Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Do you know of any webpages or links that have information on identification of chevy and jeep trannys and t-cases? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Are you trying to figure out what you have in your junk? Or what someone has sitting in their yard?

this might help a little http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/bible/index.html#GMTC
Sm 420 10" long pre 69 GM trucks
SM 465 12" long pre 89?? GM trucks
TH 350 pan looks like this

They were put behind just about everything GM made
NP 205 output view

All 1/2 ton 80 models that I know off had NP 205's with a slip yoke. There is a bunch of info out there just look around a little.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm making frequent trips to the junk yard and im not always sure what Im looking at. Im still trying to figure out what will bolt up to what and stuff. Im building a buggy and trying to get most of my junk gathered up before i start.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
For transfer case, click here

there both pretty easy to ID, 205 mostly has fixed rear yoke, looks kinda small, between the rear output and a cover, there is a perfect circle with 3 bolts. 203 are pretty big, also mostly(??) fixed rear yoke, and have alot of aluminum, on tailshafts. The 208 is all aluminum. I beleive the link would describe better.

trannies, TH350 has the vaccum module is on the right rear, near the tailshaft, TH400 is by the tranny lines, on the right front, TH700 pan is just about a square, no vac line. 4-speed, if it's in the 70' and 80's, mostly a SM465. Few other scattered in there, but that is a popular tranny.

This is for GM stuff, don't know about Jeeps..

It's a fullsize thing, Jeep's wouldn't understand.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help spoolnaround and b454rat!!

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
spoolnaround said:

All 1/2 ton 80 models that I know off had NP 205's with a slip yoke.
You sure you don't mean the 208's? I might be confused, but I think the 80's (1981 and up) model chevys (including my burb and my buddies burb) were all NP208's.

Chek here for more info:
http://www.coloradok5.com/specs.shtml

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
All 80 models had the 205, and I thought that they were all slip yokes, but I was told wrong. I know 1/2 and 3/4 tons are the slip style, but I don't think the 1 tons are, still fixed.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
80 models meaning trucks, Subs etc. made in 1980 ;)

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
b454rat said:
All 80 models had the 205, and I thought that they were all slip yokes, but I was told wrong. I know 1/2 and 3/4 tons are the slip style, but I don't think the 1 tons are, still fixed.
Also ran into an '87 1-ton with a slip-yoke 205. After 1980, seems the slip-yoke 205 is part & parcel of 1-ton, regular cab, w/pickup box. Cab & chassis, and crewcab models had fixed yokes.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
FWIW, I have an 85 K30 with TH400/NP205 and fixed yoke. That's the way it came to me but, maybe it was changed before me. The guy I got it from got it from a military auction, and I don't think he changed it...

·
Registered
146 Posts
u2slow said:

Also ran into an '87 1-ton with a slip-yoke 205. After 1980, seems the slip-yoke 205 is part & parcel of 1-ton, regular cab, w/pickup box. Cab & chassis, and crewcab models had fixed yokes.
My question is can you replace the slip-yoke with a fixed yoke style. Im looking at a 80' model NP205 out of 1 ton with a slip yoke style rear output, and I want a fixed yoke output front and rear.

Really what Im asking is what all will be involved just simply swapping the outputs or does the slip yoke have different spline count than the fixed yoke 32 spline rear out put.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts