Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background on the question:
'97 TJ 4banger, ax5 and 231.

Had a problem a while back that resulted in having to replace basically everything from the clutch back to the t-case. Got everything finally assembled;
new clutch, new throwout bearing, new pilot bearing, new master/slave cylinder, replacement tranny, replacement t-case all new fluids. Got a problem though that I'm not sure where to start looking.

All of my searches on this on both the board, google, etc, have turned up with pointing to the slave cylinder, which I went through and replaced, so now I'm looking for some more ideas.

When I start the Jeep up even with the clutch all the way to the floor, it's still starting like it's just barely in gear basically like slipping the clutch to get going. I can't shift it between gears, the closest I can do is pull it out of gear. Trying to shift into reverse will make a nice grinding sound like everything is still spinning. I had thought that the problem was with the slave cylinder and being out of adjustment, so I bought a whole brand new assembly, completely bleed every little tiny air bubble before installing it. So now I'm not sure if it's just that the shift fork might be sitting wrong or if the tranny is just a POS. I can start it up in gear and drive it just fine and it will hold in gear, I just can't shift the damn thing. Any thoughts of what to look at specifically when I pull the tranny out again this weekend?

It's probably about time to take it to a tranny shop to take a look at, but I can't get the damn thing anywhere to even get it looked at.... :mad3:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clutch is in right, flywheel stamped side is facing the flywheel. Went through and completely bled the MC and slave prior to installation. It's the system that you have to actually push the rod on the slave cylinder to bleed the air out before you install it. Went through the whole process for a good 30 minutes making sure there was no air in there.

Does this sound like a problem that could be from the shift fork not sitting correctly? It seems to me like when the clutch pedal is pressed, the rod just isn't pushing the clutch fork far enough so it feels like everything is still engaged. Maybe the shift fork was bent?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sounds like the wrong throwout bearing or wrong throwout bearing fork.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a good thought. I think I'll pull it all out tonight and take the parts to J&W to see if they match.

·
Premium Member
11,120 Posts
Did you get the flywheel resurfaced?

If so, you're not supposed to do that. Flywheel thickness is very critical, otherwise the pressure plate ends up being too far away from the throwout bearing and you'll have symptoms like you're describing. A few thousandths won't matter much, but if they took off any significant amount of material, it's probably screwed.

You can drive it fine with no clutch, only problem is starting/stopping. I've driven mine home 200 miles with no clutch. Just gotta turn it off when you come to a complete stop, and you have to know your gearbox really well.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, didn't resurface, already read about that. Plus it was in really good shape to start with and I had two for comparisons. Just went and picked up another clutch fork and retaining clip from J&W, just in case the original is bent somehow. If I find anything useful, I'll report it back.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
whatup troy!

it is an ax5 :flipoff2:

It seems that your slave is garbage. Even new. I had an issue with a slave that we put in an ax15, and took it back for another one and it worked fine.
I see that you have done that once, so one other idea. I had a toyota that the plumbing hose bulged between the master and slave. I replaced everything before I found it. Lastly, determine what type of friction you are getting in the throwout bearing (the one in the crankshaft). If the wrong bearing is in there, the friction could turn the tranny regardless of the clutch.

Later

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, pulled the tranny again yesterday and checked everything out. The throwout bearing was a little damaged, that was due to a dumb mistake on my part by not greasing it up enough I think. Got the new bearing and another clutch fork and retaining clip and got it all buttoned up this afternoon. It actually can shift somewhat now, but it's still pretty crappy and going into reverse, grinds the hell out of the gears. I'm throwing in the towel on this one and taking it to the pro's. Anyone know of a good tranny/clutch shop? Would prefer to take it to someone who somewhat specializes in 4x4's and preferably Jeeps. I'm kind of thinking the tranny is the problem which sucks because I bought it off of a guy on the board. Had it sitting for a couple of months before I installed it, so I don't even know the guy's name anymore.... If I get any better information though, I'll post it up - hopefully it will help someone out.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gripguru said:
whatup troy!

it is an ax5 :flipoff2:

It seems that your slave is garbage. Even new. I had an issue with a slave that we put in an ax15, and took it back for another one and it worked fine.
I see that you have done that once, so one other idea. I had a toyota that the plumbing hose bulged between the master and slave. I replaced everything before I found it. Lastly, determine what type of friction you are getting in the throwout bearing (the one in the crankshaft). If the wrong bearing is in there, the friction could turn the tranny regardless of the clutch.

Later
Hey Nate! Yeah, I went and installed a brand new master and slave cylinder. When I pulled everything out, the throwout bearing was actually damaged and it had scored the fingers on the pressure plate. It's got another brand new throwout bearing in there now, made sure the shaft and the groove in the throwout bearing were greased up and applied a bit of grease to the face of the throwout bearing per some instructions I dug up. I got it to shift a bit better today, but I'm thinking the tranny is just a piece of shit - which is pretty much the definition for an ax-5 :flipoff2: If it's fawked, I think I'm just going to swap it for an ax-15 and get some more strength under there at the same time, just pisses me off because it's the last major drivetrain component to get replaced since basically rebuilding it over the last 9 months. :( Kind of also makes me think I might be better off to buy a complete 4.0L and tranny and just ditch the 4 banger and that p.o.s. tranny. :nuke:

·
Registered
36 Posts
pull the tranny back out and check your cluch pilot bearing. if it's an actual bearing...its prolly not turning freely (replace it). if its just a bushing, yank it out...and make sure it spins on the input shaft easily. something is tryin to turn the input shaft...even with the pressure plate released...

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, it's an actual bearing, wish I had taken a look at it while everything was taken apart. DAMNIT!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
get a new bearing...

when you replace it...find a deep socket that will match up with the outside bearing race *as close as possible*!! put some anti-sieze on the outside of the bearing race and the inside of the hole. (just a light coating). tap it in gently untill it seats. (make sure the socket only hits on the outside bearing race...very important!)

pm me if u need any help!

:cool2:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, just pisses me off because I just replaced the bilot bushing/bearing when I did the clutch. But then again, the throwout bearing was trashed too. Wonder if I jacked it up when I was putting the tranny back in the first time. Damn... Think I'll pick one up this week and give it one more shot before taking it to the tranny shop. Thanks for the ideas!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts