Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, Toyota guy here looking to put a 96 4.3L in my p/u. Just wondering how I can tell what kind of TRANNY is connected to it. It's a 96 Blazer, auto of course, is there something in the VIN# that gives it away? Or physically looking at the tranny?
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
352 Posts
should be a 4L60e

·
Registered
68 Posts
the only transmission with a 4.3 conected to it in that year would be a 4l60e as already said.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4dr4x4blaze said:
the only transmission with a 4.3 conected to it in that year would be a 4l60e as already said.
4dr4x4blaze - That's the answer I wanted! Thanks everyone, I would rather use a manual, but the 4L60 is cool. And ODGREEN; thanks for the info on the wiring harness. From my understanding; the 96 was the first year for the 195ish hp Vortec, but has the downside of the 'electronically(?) controlled tranny.'

Q. I can put a manual tranny in there too right? Without having to do any wiring harness changes???

Jeff

·
Registered
254 Posts
I actually don't consider it a downside, i wanted the 4L60E so that i could set my shift points up exactly the way i wanted since i can do my own chip. I got tired of a manual altho i liked being able to slip the clutch to keep from drowning while crossing water that i shouldn't be trying :D

I don't remember if that year still uses a drac or not but that will also be required, it takes the VSS signal and changes/modifies it for use for your speedo (no cable, electronic) and for the PCM, it's a requirement for it to run properly.

http://614streets.com/drac.html

EDIT: adding a manual tranny later will set a code in the PCM since it wants/needs to talk to the tranny. Modify it or use a PCM from a manual truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts