Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a '90 p/u with the 22-re and the 5sp (w-56 I think). The tranny doesn't want to stay in 1st without holding it there and it won't let him shift far enough into third to even hold it in gear. It just grinds if you try. I checked the shifter bushing but it's fine and I drained the fluid but there was nothing big in there. He says this problem developed over about 6 months or so and he has owned the truck for quite a few years now and never wheeled it. I'm stumped and figure he's just going to have to have it gone through by a tranny shop but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone has had the same problem and if there is an easy fix. Thanks boys and sorry for the long-windedness:beer:

·
Registered
342 Posts
hows the good weather down there, everytime i watch the news u guys have mid thirties temps, anyways ive only been into one tranny, and it had a shift rail el problemo, u guys have any good trails down that way, other than mud? later

oh yeah who in the anchorage area sells the cheapest swampers?? say 38 12.5 r15 tsl's they are truly ridiculous in price up here

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The weather sucks...all the trails are iced up with no snow. There are quite a few good trails down here that don't have much mud on them. As for the swampers...they are rediculous here too...best bet is to order some from the magazines with some friends to save on shipping.
JAY

·
Registered
342 Posts
i figured they would be rediculous also, i might take of a try at exploiting some business partners of the company i work for, i think we have a deal with a trucking company out of seattle, if i could get a deal on shipping to anchorage, i might go that route, later

·
Registered
344 Posts
I would dump the gear oil and install some ATF or redline,ATF is easier to get i'm sure and try that.
Up where you are temp is so low that gear oil can hamper shifting ability,especially when first starting.

If that has been done and it still won't shift ,make damn sure the clutch is disengageing all the way.
When the diaphram pressure plate goes bad or the clutch is worn enough the disc doesn't full disengage from the flywheel.iut still drags a little.

This being said,if that was bad and you continued to drive it ,it would wear the synchros and the possibley the gears out.

SO start with the clutch adjustment,then the fluid, then you have an idea how bad the mechanical part of the tranny is going to be in dollars and cents. But from here it sounds like synchro hubs or sliders and brass rings and maybe some gears if the dogs are worn bad enough. Then you have bearings and some snap rings and seals. So yep it could get costly with labor.

Hope this helps
:D

Gary

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Gary, he's been driving it for ever like this so I think he killed it. It's not the clutch...I thought of that too...and it started hapening to him during the summer so I don't think it's a fluid viscosity problem either. Thanks again,

JAY

1 - 6 of 6 Posts