Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok looking to swap a chevy 350 into my yj. I have a d300 transfer for free so i want to use that. The question is, Which tranny should i use here? the sm 465 or sm 420 which novak says are great for a chevy swap, but it says for the agile light weight of the jeep that a nv4500 should have no problems. I know the adapter from nv4500 to d300 is only $355 while the 420 is $470 and the 465 is $509. I would like to use the nv4500 just for the adapter price, but i also would like the tranny less likley to break! Any help would be great.

·
Registered
38,247 Posts
Novak seems to think it's plenty strong for a Jeep... If you can fit it in there and still have room for a driveline, I say go for it. If you're staying street legal, that overdrive will give you more options in your diffs, too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just finished mine up. Used the 465 that I found and rebuilt for $200. yea the adapter is more expensive but have you looked at the price of a used nv4500. Anyways, if you are not modifing the wheelbase I would seriously reconsider the 4500, your driveshaft will be well under 18 inches.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I have a SM465 with a Novak adapter, the 2WD version is stronger. The only down fall is you have to install a tailshaft. I wouldn't worry too much about braking anyone of these transmissions. Unless you plan on running 44" tall tires and like to drop the hammer.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help so far, actually not 44's but 42's will be the shoes for this beast. THe 465 seems to be the way to go because 1. I will not be stretching the wheelbase, and 2. I hadnt really looked into the price of the trannys themselves. WHat did you do to rebuild your 465 and did it make it any stronger? Any one else with ideas here let me know.

thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
When I rebuilt mine I ordered new bearings, bushings, and the syncro's. Novak sells all of these parts but you can shop around locally to find a better deal. Rebuilding does not make anything stronger, but replacing the wear parts will definetly make it last longer.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
42"s and stock wheelbase? :shaking:

have you thought about a th400? the 208 adaprter and custom spud shaft will adapt them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
swap

Are you swapping the front axle out to passenger side drop?? (Your profile says you have a YJ) If not, and you have a drivers drop front axle, you'll have to flip the D300 (more $$$) as well as it is passenger side drop.

Oh, I'd use the 465 as it is much cheaper than the 4500 and more readily available than the 420. Yeah, I know you lose overdrive though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts