Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 Toy extra cab 4x4 with I believe an 84 block with stock 86 EFI stuff. Its a Canadian veh also if it makes a difference. I want an auto tranny. What will bolt up to my 22re? with the least amount of work and if possible maintain stock tcase. I need specifics because I would like purchase the tranny soon. Thanks for any positive feedback.

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
350 tranny. It'll be lots of work, and lots of cost, but you *can* use the 22RE and stock T-case if you want. It's your only option (well, anything can be done with money...)

Basically, you are barking up the wrong tree. You don't want an auto tranny with the 22RE, it'll be even more of a dog than it is. The stock Toy autos had an integrated t-case (weaker too), so you can't use your stock case.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Tranny depends on your uses,more off road than on you have choices with the right amount of money as stated.

My advice call Marlin Crawlers and ask about adapter available to work with auto's that are practical for your use and economic.

Advanced adapters makes adapters ,but marlin could prolly tell your about what will work with what for your use.

Nuttin wrong with an auto with the right gearing especially offroad,climbing and crawlin,dont reccomend one for mud but not have to clutch a vehicle around a trail or rock quarry can be real relaxing and easy on yer quads if you know what i mean..:D

Stock toy wont allow a manual transfer without a few mods which could run into major dollars. Marlin did one for guy with a 90 4runner using an A340F and manual transfer case out of an early toy pickup to get the exit over on the right hand side. Gave him 2 reduction units ,manual gears and an auto tranny for daily driving and ease of use. I think this would be better with more power like 3.4 sc'ed motor or V8 but still it worked bitchin....:D

my opnion is slighted because i know toyota auto's and manual tranny's very well and i'm too old to fawk with a clutch pedal climbing a god dern hill or trail at a 45 degree angle hope to stay upright....although with 2 reduction units and low 4:88 or 5:29 gears a manual can crawl pretty slow at 250 -1 ratio...;)

So its your choice
Gary

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. A few points, what do you mean a 350 tranny exactly, I am a welder and body many by trade so modifying things should be fine. I also am sick of shifting gears. I dont do to agressive trails as it is my dd as well, no rocks just some mud and off road for the fall hunt. What do you mean by mods, what would have to be done. I do not require two tcases, I just want an auto with stock case if possibe. If it is too much effort then I would change t case as well. I did not know that Toy autos had a differnt tcase, does that apply to all years that use 22re, is the unit really that flimsy? Thanks again for all the input and please keep it coming.

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
OK, all types of Toy auto trannys have integrated chain drive t-cases, so if you went with a stock Toy auto, you would need to use the chain drive tranny, and toss you manual tranny (so some needy person here on the board). The 4 cylinder auto is weaker than the 5-speed, and the auto t-case is weaker than the manual t-case. So, you just took two hits in strength by this swap.

If you went with a strong auto tranny (like a turbo 350 or 400, domestic, 2wd), then you would need to buy an adapter to go between the 22RE and the tranny, and then one to go between the tranny and your stock manual t-case. Both of these adapters exist for $$$$.

Or, you could go with a complete domestic swap, put a T350 or T400 tranny in (4wd this time) with any number of domestic t-cases (check out the Pirate Bible for some info on choices). This would require the engine-tranny adapter, and any other stuff for linkage, mounts, etc.

All three are expensive, require driveline mods, mounting mods, linkage mods, shifter mods, possibly electrical mods, installing a tranny cooler, blah blah blah.

You're looking at lots of time and cost.
Most people want to go to what you currently HAVE, so moving away from that makes things harder.

Oh, and I ain't dogging autos on the trail, I use one myself :D I'm just dogging the 4-banger auto as a swap...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts