Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys newly registered to pirate but not new to site. just got a 97 tacoma 3.4 v6 with 5 speed manual, bout to start my new build and i was wondering if anyone knew if my marlin crawl box out of my 87 4runner w/ w56 tranny would bolt directly to the tranny of the tacoma or am i going to need and adapter or should i just double the tcase in the 97? thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Gonna need a gear drive to taco tranny adapter and i dont know how the 87 tcase is, but the taco is left hand drop. So either put a crawler infront of the chain drive taco case (would need another adapter), turn your gear drive tcase (if it is one in the 87) into a lefty with the lefty adapter from inchworm, and last but not least you can do an SAS with a right hand drive axle and keep your 87 drivetrain.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a complete transmission/crawl box/transfer case combo for sale. The crawl box has 4.7s in it. The crawler is almost brand new. PM me for details.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Alright guys newly registered to pirate but not new to site. just got a 97 tacoma 3.4 v6 with 5 speed manual, bout to start my new build and i was wondering if anyone knew if my marlin crawl box out of my 87 4runner w/ w56 tranny would bolt directly to the tranny of the tacoma or am i going to need and adapter or should i just double the tcase in the 97? thanks for any help
you'll need both adapters for your Taco...might as well just find a wrecking yard tcase for the reduction box and start from scratch...unless you are getting that for $100 ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
i'll break this down for you.

your tacoma is a driver side drop CHAIN DRIVEN t-case.

your runner is a passenger side drop GEAR DRIVEN T-CASE.

for your runner tranny and tcases to work you'll need a new bell housing to bolt to the motor. your tcases wont work unless your going to do a SAS

OPTION 1
stock 3.4 tranny v6 to 4cyl gear driven tcase adapter to inchworm adapter to the stock 3.4 chain driven tcase.

OPTION 2
stock 3.4 tranny v6 adapter to your crawl box and SAS the damn thing!:D

OPTION 3
stock tranny v6 adapter and dual case w 4.7 gear in the rear triple stick and SAS THAT BITCH! :flipoff2: (its the route i went)

FYI if u do deside to SAS your plan to in the future option 3 is what i would do as it would make your truck passenger side drop so u can run toyota axles to start with.

im running 3.0 tranny and dual tcases w/4.7 MAIN REASON i went this route i blew 3rd and 4th gear in my tranny i can find the 3L v6 tranny all over for bout 100 bucks and i snapped my CHAIN DRIVEN t-case CASE from out put shaft to output shaft. they are garbage also the 4cyl gear tcases i find all day for $75-100 bucks

i hope this info helps and if u have any questions i'll help in any way :beer:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts