Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have my t cases and trans tapped with breathers and tube to a catch can and have been using bicycle tube to seal off the shifter holes but it doesnt seem to last long before it dries out and falls apart. Is there something out there that will last longer? maybe even something made specifically for this purpose? I have found a few boots etc. but none that allow me to create an airtight seal with zipties or hose clamps.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have my t cases and trans tapped with breathers and tube to a catch can and have been using bicycle tube to seal off the shifter holes but it doesnt seem to last long before it dries out and falls apart. Is there something out there that will last longer? maybe even something made specifically for this purpose? I have found a few boots etc. but none that allow me to create an airtight seal with zipties or hose clamps.
Rockauto.com had new ones

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw those but there is no where to get a hose clamp to seal it off. I did see some others for other transmissions that look like they'll work better.

Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I saw those but there is no where to get a hose clamp to seal it off. I did see some others for other transmissions that look like they'll work better.

Thanks.
Are you using hose clamps that are fuel injected rated they get a little better seal than the old traditional style. Also you should try putting some silicone rubber or RTV as well as the hose clamp to create an extra good seal.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
Silicone the area that seals against the shifter base. Put a bead of cone at the area the top of the boot contacts the shifter.

Why are you getting fluid up there? Shouldn't happen if you have the baffle in place and aren't on your side or rolled over.

If you are worried about using silicone for later maintenance reasons, silicone it at the shifter, and zip tie around the base.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why are you getting fluid up there? Shouldn't happen if you have the baffle in place and aren't on your side or rolled over. .
It's fine while driving. I've just had gear oil in the cab 1 too many times sideways or upside down so I've been using bicycle tube for a while now. It works but dries out and gets funky eventually.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts