Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into spending a few months traveling thru the US. Start and end in California (where everything is registered), hoping to make a giant loop to the east coast and back. Planning on pulling a 20-22ft enclosed with the jeep and two dirtbikes in it. Have a 13 ram 2500 longbed srw with a 8.5 ft truck camper.

Trailer will be under 10k gross (guessing 8k loaded), truck is 10k gvwr, camper is 2650 empty. I use the truck/camper combo regularly and pull small trailers as well as open trailers with the jeep on it. Never an problems, no hitch extension as the camper doesn't overhang, and I have airbags on the truck.

Now couple of questions. First off I am over gvwr even empty, but would be under gawr. Wondered what states would be more likely to pull me over, and along those lines what states would require me to pull into weigh stations? I should only be at 18-20k combined weight so I'm way under 26k for any of the commercial states. And this is not in any way commercial (hell I won't have a job so won't even be making any money!)

I fully understand the legality of the gvwr and know that I am over so no need telling me that.

Also what states should I worry about driving my jeep in, tires out past wheel wells.

Am I thinking way to much into this or is it legitimate reason for concern? I drive slow, nothing visibly looks overloaded.

·
Premium Member
29,405 Posts
yup, over thinking it! have a blast, don't drive the jeep on many roads, if ca legal i doubt any other states will hassle you

·
Premium Member
25,817 Posts
I know a lot of race car guys that say the Iowa DOT is ruthless. No one even runs sponsor stickers on their trailers anymore because if this. If you get pulled over just make sure you say it's all for trail riding. At least with the camper in the bed you don't look too commercial.

The letter in this thread basically tells you what you want to hear. But they can and WILL still pull out and pull you over. Been there done that. :(

DOT and towing race cars - CLASS RACER FORUM

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
I would be curious to see a 22' enclosed that weighs 8k with a Jeep and 2 bike, not to mention all the stuff you would want to bring on a cross country trip.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Over/under thinking it all at the same time.

You are worried about GCWR, not GVWR or GAWR. Take the truck's GVWR, add the trailer's 10,000 GVWR and you have your GCWR.

As for that trailer? It is likely 4500 empty. Add the Jeep and the bikes, and you are looking at 10,000 easy. Make sure to scale out your axles in order to keep them under that magic 10k, you should be fine (keep a good amount of tongue weight with a WD hitch). Just carry two spares, just in case.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Trailer "Specs" say 3500lbs ish, probably low. Jeep is just shy of 4k stock, plus at least 500 or more of add ons. So say 1K in add ons. That puts me at 3500 + 5000 + 600 for two dirtbikes, so yeah closer to 9k I guess. Minimal extra supplies in the trailer. We have lived in the camper before so know how to pack our stuff into it.

GCVW = 25000 Actual Approx 20-22K
GVWR = 10000 Actual Approx 12000
RAWR = 6200 Stock 2842 not sure weight distribution of camper
FAWR = 5500

Definitely over my max's...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Over/under thinking it all at the same time.

You are worried about GCWR, not GVWR or GAWR. Take the truck's GVWR, add the trailer's 10,000 GVWR and you have your GCWR.

As for that trailer? It is likely 4500 empty. Add the Jeep and the bikes, and you are looking at 10,000 easy. Make sure to scale out your axles in order to keep them under that magic 10k, you should be fine (keep a good amount of tongue weight with a WD hitch). Just carry two spares, just in case.
So with this I would need over 20k gcwr. Im at 25000....so just over on the truck. Seems that would be much harder to determine via scales since the truck doesn't have a gvwr stamped on, I didn't find it in the manual either. Only online in a RAM TOWING PDF

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I'd never even worry about it. Just drive and have fun.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I know a lot of race car guys that say the Iowa DOT is ruthless. No one even runs sponsor stickers on their trailers anymore because if this. If you get pulled over just make sure you say it's all for trail riding. At least with the camper in the bed you don't look too commercial.

The letter in this thread basically tells you what you want to hear. But they can and WILL still pull out and pull you over. Been there done that. :(

DOT and towing race cars - CLASS RACER FORUM

I can confirm this. Iowa DOT watches things like a hawk. I deal with this in my current job, and in my previous job. If they even THINK you're doing something you're not supposed to they will pull you over and inspect you. The weigh stations in Iowa are any vehicle over 10,000lbs has to weigh. This includes RVs and personal vehicles. Its one of the few states I've seen that requires RVs to pull in. 99% of the time though, its pull over the scales and go. I've never been pulled for an inspection at a weigh station in Iowa, it was always an enforcement patrol that has gotten me.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
As long as your not over weight on the rear tires, I would run it. You might want airbags though :D . Stock tires should be in the 3600LB rating range, so under 7200LB on the rear should be ok. I would be hitting the scales loaded before you go.

I'm running 7500 on my rear axle of my 13 3500 with some 4080LB rates 295's.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do have airbags. I will try and scale it out before I hit the rd to make sure. Think my piddly stock 245's are 3200 each or so. I will get new tires before I leave tho. Sounds like avoiding Iowa would be a good call lol. Any other states that RV's need to pull into?

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I can confirm this. Iowa DOT watches things like a hawk. I deal with this in my current job, and in my previous job. If they even THINK you're doing something you're not supposed to they will pull you over and inspect you. The weigh stations in Iowa are any vehicle over 10,000lbs has to weigh. This includes RVs and personal vehicles. Its one of the few states I've seen that requires RVs to pull in. 99% of the time though, its pull over the scales and go. I've never been pulled for an inspection at a weigh station in Iowa, it was always an enforcement patrol that has gotten me.

+1 to this, Iowa sucks for towing.
I would stay out of Iowa for the DOT, and Illinois due to the speed limits on trailers.
Not much for wheeling in this part of the country anyway.

·
Registered
786 Posts
somebody over at Escapees posted this ;

strangely Iowa is not rated high (maybe data is a little behind) :confused:

whatever you do, DO NOT pull into weight stations (i never ever do)
you are NOT commercial ....
(unless a sign specifically calls for "all traffic" to enter , or "all trucks & pickups over xxxxx lbs" and your clearly over that)

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
somebody over at Escapees posted this ;

strangely Iowa is not rated high (maybe data is a little behind) :confused:

whatever you do, DO NOT pull into weight stations (i never ever do)
you are NOT commercial ....
(unless a sign specifically calls for "all traffic" to enter , or "all trucks & pickups over xxxxx lbs" and your clearly over that)
That is a list for commercial DOT enforcement.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I will plan on making sure the trailer is obviously under 10k which shouldn't be TOO much of a problem. Will have to focus on packing lightly tho. Other than that I will just make sure that the tires are as heavy duty as possible (found some 3700 lb rated 17's). I don't plan on pulling into a weigh station unless signaled too. Cops could always be rude but newer truck, newer trailer, good tires all around, make sure my lights are alwasys working correctly, don't speed, non commercial, a couple and their dog traveling across the states...C'mon now guy lol.

I will have to put out a notice when I leave...we will be looking for people in places to tag along with on some trail runs since we won't know the area....:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts