Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today we took most of my transfer case out my TJ by undoing 8 8mm bolts from the driveshafts and giving her a little tug. The case blew to pieces on the freeway at 70 mph. Its quite a ride in an open top jeep when theres a huge knock under your ass and smoke starts pouring out. Looks like money I didnt have for an engine/tranny/ transfer case swap is going into a stock replacement case. Woopie. Anyone have this happen? It was sudden, no heat buildup, no vibrations, and the gears arent even chewed up.

and the planetaries left in the jeep

·
Registered
2,977 Posts

that was mine...

forgot to tighten the yoke straps on the front...

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
damn thats an ugly face... just go get a junkyard case, pic-n-pull or u-wrench-it sell them for like 100 bucks a pop. make sure it hasnt been there long and clean it up a little.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Odd that you say you had no vibrations, that looks like unbalnced front driveshaft carnage, does your front driveshaft always spin? (locker, no cad?)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I have seen that before, but not at highway speeds. High lift height with short control arms caused the front axle to swing back at full droop. Driveshaft slip bottomed out and the case cracked. This is common on YJs too, when the main leaf bends

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, ive been keeping an eye out underneath the Jeep lately cause its been out wheeling quite a bit. No lift, driveshaft does spin (stock w/ no manual hubs), and the driveshaft was tight. I check it pretty often for play after wheeling and such, plus it was plenty tight when the front driveshaft got removed to pull the case apart. Yeah, no vibrations, I was actually, stupidly, remarking to myself how straight and smooth it was driving less than 2 minutes before it happened. Had my hands hovering over the wheel amazed at how straight it stayed. Kind of at a loss as to why it happened. Front driveshaft imbalance does make sense, but w/o the vibration and no known hard hits on the front end or driveshaft lately, I dont know. Oh well, time to find a used transfer case. Kinda hate putting any money into something that hopefully wont be staying in there long, but I guess thats life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts