Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, today we took most of my transfer case out my TJ by undoing 8 8mm bolts from the driveshafts and giving her a little tug. The case blew to pieces on the freeway at 70 mph. Its quite a ride in an open top jeep when theres a huge knock under your ass and smoke starts pouring out. Looks like money I didnt have for an engine/tranny/ transfer case swap is going into a stock replacement case. Woopie. Anyone have this happen? It was sudden, no heat buildup, no vibrations, and the gears arent even chewed up.

and the planetaries left in the jeep

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, ive been keeping an eye out underneath the Jeep lately cause its been out wheeling quite a bit. No lift, driveshaft does spin (stock w/ no manual hubs), and the driveshaft was tight. I check it pretty often for play after wheeling and such, plus it was plenty tight when the front driveshaft got removed to pull the case apart. Yeah, no vibrations, I was actually, stupidly, remarking to myself how straight and smooth it was driving less than 2 minutes before it happened. Had my hands hovering over the wheel amazed at how straight it stayed. Kind of at a loss as to why it happened. Front driveshaft imbalance does make sense, but w/o the vibration and no known hard hits on the front end or driveshaft lately, I dont know. Oh well, time to find a used transfer case. Kinda hate putting any money into something that hopefully wont be staying in there long, but I guess thats life.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts