Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pretty newly rebuilt (by mudrak IIRC) 4 sp transfer case for a stock driveline '75 fj40. I think it might have 8-10k miles on it.

I have the specter transmission return line
http://www.sor.com/sor/cat062.tam?xax=2774&anchor=#062-98
already in place to keep the oil level adequate.

My problem..

Speedo cable leakage, seems like where it threads on, as well as behind the threaded portion, where the long, black plastic portion (that houses the speedo cable) meets the metal of the threaded part. I've cranked the threaded thing as hard as I dare, and it still seems to leak through the threads. is there some sealant I could use? I have some leftover gasket maker from doing my differential seals.

Also leaking.. if you are on your back, facing up, with your legs pointing toward the front of the truck.. looking at the speedo cable, just above and toward the drivers side of the TC there is a bolt that holds a flat peice of metal in place. this rectangular metal tab keeps something above it from rotating. its also leaking. Do I need to open the TC for that seal or is there a magic fix i can try first.

I tried to find a SOR catalog page showing that spot but couldnt.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Put some RTV on the speedo threads, should take care of the leak.

Your other leak I believe you are talking about the idler shaft. Is the shaft itself leaking or is it the bolt? I'm not sure what the fix would be for this. Something that comes to mind would be to undo the bolt and tab holding it in, wiggle it out about a 1/4" or so (I'm not sure how far you can go without dropping a thrust washer inside the case maybe somebody else would know) clean the shaft really well with some degreaser. Smear some RTV around it and slide it back in & clean off the excess....

I dunno that may be a terrible idea maybe somebody else has a better one

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
silicone on the threads won't do much for you. the fluid should not be getting there in the first place.
the reason the speedo is leaking is because the speedo seal is bad, possibly along with the speedo gear. that's where the fluid should stop. there should never be any gear oil in the cale or on the threads.
there is a speedo o-ring also located on the outside of the speedo bullet. it's the part that has the threads on it; the speedo gear goes thru it. unscrew the speedo cable, remove the 12mm bolt and tab and gently pry out the bullet using a screw driver in the slot previously occupied by the tab. should come out fairly easily. if the o-ring is not plyable or has a major flat spot around the circumference then it's time for a new one. they're available at the dealer for next to nothing.

last but not least, you should only tighten the speedo cable as tight as you can with your FINGERS, not pliers or vise grips. the threaded part of the cable can and will break otherwise and then you'll be buying and installing a new cable.

hth

georg @ valley hybrids

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info. so, to make sure i have this...

I'm going to unscrew my speedo from the TC. then I'm going to gently pry out the threaded portion where the TC accepts the speedo. then I'm going to replace the O ring in there.

what about the other leak? it's NOT the bolt that holds the tab.. that bolt is short, and dead ends in the TC casing. all the bolt does is hold the tab, which shoots upward about 1/2 inch into a slot in a circular thingy which is leaking from its circumference.

thanks. gerry

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
let's try this one more time:

1) unscrew speedo cable from speedo bullet or "circular thingy"
2) remove bolt and tab from speedo housing
3) using a screw-driver or small pry bar, gently pry speedo bullet from speedo housing
4) remove old o-ring from circumference of speedo bullet and replace with new o-ring.
5) reassemble and top off t-case

hope that makes sense

1 - 5 of 5 Posts