Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the 86 c223 diesel ( no idea what trans/tcase). Does anyone know if there are any tcases that you can swap that might be better, or that would change the pass drop to ds drop? I didnt know hwo strong the stocker was, or if i'll be able to find another later if i break it. Thanks!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Somebody told me that it is the same t-case as the gas engines came with, but don't take that as gospel...if so, you can install the Independent4x 3.07:1 t-case gears, makes a world of difference for rock crawling. Give Matt a call and he can tell you if they will work.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If it is a manual transmission MUA5 as most Isuzus have, the t-case is integrated with the transmission, so a gear swap may be your best option. If automatic, the t-case can be removed separately.

There is an Aussie Locker available for your 10-bolt rear axle, at least (only available at Independent4x). Nothing for the front 8-bolt, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Somebody told me that it is the same t-case as the gas engines came with, but don't take that as gospel...if so, you can install the Independent4x 3.07:1 t-case gears, makes a world of difference for rock crawling. Give Matt a call and he can tell you if they will work.
YEP THIS IS THE SAME TRAN FER CASE AS THE GAS ENG USED UP THRU 87 , AFTER THAT IT IS A NO GO FOR ANYTHING CLOSE TO THE MUA TRANS , THE 86-87 USED THE CAST IRON CASE T/C/ AND IT TOO IS INTERGRAL WITHT HE TRANS BUT NOT A S MUCH AS THE MUA IT CAN BE PARTIALLY DISSAMBLED AND REMOVED FROM THE BACK END , BUT THAT IS ABOUT ALL, OTHER WISE IT HAS NOTHING IN COMMON WITH THE MUA JERRY

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
yer boned. you'd have to add a divorced case for anything deeper. The stocker only has like a 1.87:1 low anyway. why ds drop? you already have some axles waiting? I'd look at any exhaust/driveline clearance problems you might run into before commiting to it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there were axles ready for a good price, but i'm not considering it now. I actually dont knwo what im going to do. I might just make the diesel up on 33's and make it a kick-around car till I sell it. After I redo the whole body, it should be worth a few bucks..

i cant believe im already thinking about getting rid of it! :tear:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts