Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 88' 1/2 ton and am looking into do an sas. i am thinking of puting a 12 bolt up front and need to know if there any way to keep my stock transfer case and still run a gm axle. any info would be appreciated. with mine being an 88' i should have a 4l60e (i think) and i dont know what tranny (it doesn't have overdrive and it is mated to a 305 if that helps)

·
Registered
729 Posts
00buck said:
i have an 88' 1/2 ton and am looking into do an sas. i am thinking of puting a 12 bolt up front and need to know if there any way to keep my stock transfer case and still run a gm axle. any info would be appreciated. with mine being an 88' i should have a 4l60e (i think) and i dont know what tranny (it doesn't have overdrive and it is mated to a 305 if that helps)
First, as Paul so eloquently put it, there is no 12 bolt front.:D

If you want to run a pass side drop front axle (NOT 12 BOLT) i'd look for a Blazer or suburban up to 91. They would have a pass side drop 241.

·
Registered
562 Posts
with mine being an 88' i should have a 4l60e (i think) and i dont know what tranny (it doesn't have overdrive and it is mated to a 305 if that helps)

ok, well then, u think it has a 4l60e, but u dont know what tranny:shaking: then u continue to say it has no overdrive, welll im gonna be nice and not flame u anymore,
but it has a 4l60e if it has OD, if not it would only have came with a th 400, if thats not the tranny, then someone else put in the th350, but that wasnt offered in that truck. as far as makin the front work with ur case, hell no, u need a 208 for whatever tranny u may have:flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
If the trans is original in the truck, and is overdrive, then its a TH700r4. If it's a 3 speed auto, then it's a TH375, which is a TH400 with the smaller output of the TH350. If you want to use your stock t-case, then there is no GM axle to use. GM never used drivers side drop axle. You can get a t-case out of a Blazer or Suburban from 87-91, it will bolt up and have the VSS for speedo and timing for the computer. It's basically the same case you have now, just pass side drop instead of drivers side drop. All Chevy V-8s have the same bell bousing pattern. So any trans out of a V-8 will bolt up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry for asking a dumb newbie question, i found out there wasnt a 12 bolt front after i posted. and i appreciated the lack of flaming. thanks for the info

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
But a ford front axle----it will be cheaper than redoing the whole exhaust system, and going thru the effort of replacing the t-case

·
Registered
294 Posts
ok if you want to keep it 1/2ton 6lug then you could use an axle from a fullsize bronco or from a F150...either of which has a dana44 front....chevy 10bolt or dana44 knuckles will bolt onto the ford version dana44 thus giving you 6-5.5 bolt pattern and driverside diff to match your stock t-case.....i happen to have this exact axle but i ditched it in favor of goin to 3/4-ton stuff....i used an axle from a 79 bronco so its the hi-pinion reverse rotation model as well.....for the right price i could send ya this axle that i have

·
Registered
79 Posts
Use a J10 D44 if you want to go spring under & stay w/ the 6 on 5.5. Make sure you find one w/ the wider track & drivers side drop. There are at least two widths and L/H & R/H drop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts