Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning..

After talking to a few folks about Jens 63 transfercase, Ive decided(been forced) to look for a new one thats a bit newer.

I have a chance to get a 71 3 speed mated to a sm420 with an advanced adapters adapter for 700.

Or should I seek a different year?

What are some of the years I should look for?

What are some of the things I should look for?

Also what kind of price range should I expect?

Steve

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
A 63 transfer case is a grenade waiting to go off. The early cases are likely to crack under extreme stress loads.
The strongest of the 3-speed cases were built from 70 on, Toyota used a better aluminum alloy, added a considerible amount of structural webbing and beefed up the boss area around the shafts.
I'd think a 71 mated to a 420 would be a good choice, not sure if I'd be willing to pay $700 but that's a matter of opinion and how much money you're willing to cut loose.
I bought a complete running 3-speed transfer case at the PMC swap meet for $200 a couple years ago.
I've never paid more than a hundred bucks for an SM420, in fact the one I've been running in my Cruiser for the last few years cost me $20 bucks at a yard sale:D

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Reddog, I appreciate it..

Thats basiclly the same info I got from a couple of people.

I already have a SM420 and a wardens adapter, but what I am finding out localy the best price I can get is 500 on a t-case, so If I get the 700 setup I can sell the sm420 and the adapter and recoup some cost.

Still in the very early stanges of gathereing info on transfercases and prices..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts