Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are some stock transmissions better (more durable) than others in an F-Toy? I know that Marlin reworks some models for better durability, but I am referring to stock units. I have a G54 that I plan to use in my F-Toy, but would like to know if there are any stock transmissions that have inherent durability problems.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I think most but not all f-toys run the w-56 trans w/no problems. The short one g-52 I think is better for d-shaft angles but marlin has to work his magic to make them stand up to the abuse. a few guys run the auto with good results but you have to set them up so they dont suck air on steep climbs

·
Vendor
4,164 Posts
We're running a flogged w56, no issues. The L52HD, in my mind would be, by far the best way to go however.

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
I would think that since the L52HD is built using G-series internals that the G durability is probably fine. The L-52HD would have an advantage just because it would have been completely rebuilt by Marlin to even be an HD. I'd say it comes down to your budget. Got 1k to spend on a trans, get the L-52HD, if money is tight then run what you've got.

FYI, I sold my R151 turbo trans to run the L-52HD, mostly for the drive line angles so I don't have to run a two piece front driveshaft like many of the W-series trans guys are doing.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Shifter placement and driveline angle (shorter transmission) seem to be bigger issues that anything. I don't think I have ever seen ANY transmission fail in 4 years of F-toy competition.
I have seen one problem though. I think this applies to all of the toy transmissions. If you are coming down a verticle drop, DO NOT come down with the transmission in neutral. If the trans is in neutral, it is possible for the reverse gear to shift foreward cause of the force of the drop. this locks the transmission solid. The only way to get it fixed is to remove the reverse sending unit from the side of the trans and shift the gear back into position with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
FYI, I sold my R151 turbo trans to run the L-52HD, mostly for the drive line angles so I don't have to run a two piece front driveshaft like many of the W-series trans guys are doing.
2 piece front driveshafts are a nice thing to have. I have one because I wanted one. Having the driveshaft start to hang down forward of the spring shackles is nice for belly clearance.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Shifter placement and driveline angle (shorter transmission) seem to be bigger issues that anything. I don't think I have ever seen ANY transmission fail in 4 years of F-toy competition.
I have seen one problem though. I think this applies to all of the toy transmissions. If you are coming down a verticle drop, DO NOT come down with the transmission in neutral. If the trans is in neutral, it is possible for the reverse gear to shift foreward cause of the force of the drop. this locks the transmission solid. The only way to get it fixed is to remove the reverse sending unit from the side of the trans and shift the gear back into position with a screwdriver.
John, you are totally right, been there and learned from it , let the newbys pay the price...the best way to avoid stuff like this is to have screwed up. Its a tough-love kind of thing. See you at Donner. Buckle up sam.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
2 piece front driveshafts are a nice thing to have. I have one because I wanted one. Having the driveshaft start to hang down forward of the spring shackles is nice for belly clearance.

X2
And I was able to make the front and rear shaft the same length. This way I can carry one spare. And in a total "fubar" I could move a shaft to the front or rear.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I am running a W56, if I could have any other thing I would get a R151F or the Marlin tranny.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
that little bit of info might help someone out someday stuck on the trail!
I'm downloading that into an un_used brain cell for future retrival:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts